Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sterilising bottles - when to stop?

(6 Posts)
wendyh Mon 13-Oct-08 15:10:10

Hi there,

I stopped sterilising bottles of my 8 month old DD yesterday and today she has a temperature and a runny bum. Could be totally unconnected of course.

When did you stop sterilising?

xx

Coolmama Mon 13-Oct-08 15:46:16

I stopped sterilising DD's (now 5 months old)bottles about a month ago when I saw (and failed to stop in time) the dog give her hand a random lick and then she jambed her fingers back in her mouth! - I figured that the sterilising was not going to make any difference at that point. Temp and runny bum could well just be coincidence.

mum2oneloudbaby Mon 13-Oct-08 16:07:34

from my understanding it is recommended that bottles should be sterilised until baby is 1 year old because milk is a breeding ground for some very nasty bacteria but no need to sterilise other feeding equipment.

"Look here www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=641§ionId=145

fourlittlefeet Mon 13-Oct-08 16:10:53

i stopped at 6 months. you have to follow normal food hygiene rules after that. think its a coincidence

notsoteenagemum Mon 13-Oct-08 16:26:52

I never really sterilised anything blush, I bf so no bottles really the few I did use went in the dishwasher and were scrubbed. had microwave steriliser but always ended up leaving them in too long so gave up.
I washed dummies and cups in v.hot water, because by the time they used them they were eating anything and everything so seemed pointless.
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, and I'm not saying I didn't clean bottls etc but they weren't sterile.

weebump Mon 13-Oct-08 23:06:27

We stopped at 9 months, but we put the bottles in the dishwasher, which is hotter than hand washing. So far no upset tummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now