Talk

Advanced search

nipples tingly and white...?

(9 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 13-Oct-08 12:10:07

my nipples are really tingly when he's not feeding, and the ends of them look white, like there's no blood in them. it doesn't hurt while he's feeding but often after, esp if it's a long feed. does that sound like thrush, or normal?

mrsmortenharket Mon 13-Oct-08 12:12:10

i have no idea sorry but hope you feel better soon xx

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 13-Oct-08 12:12:59

thanks! it's ok, but a bit annoying!

mrsmortenharket Mon 13-Oct-08 12:26:54

it might sound like thrush but i'm not a doc and it's been a while since dd was bf but i would get yourself off to docs xx

Wisknit Mon 13-Oct-08 20:29:36

Sounds like reynaulds (sp?) syndrome. Do they go from purple then to white and back again? ARe they cold or worse in the cold?
Might be worth looking up.

HTH

Wisknit Mon 13-Oct-08 20:30:02

Should have added, can be mistaken for thrush quite easily.

wuglet Mon 13-Oct-08 20:33:13

Yep agree with Wisknit. Nipple vasospasm, often can be related to trauma from poor latch.
(tis spelt Raynauds btw - not being a pedant just might make it easier to google!)

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 13-Oct-08 21:17:35

Ooh yes I'll google it now - sounds possible.

pleaseletmesleep Tue 14-Oct-08 09:12:30

Hi Kat - I had this, it started when I was pregnant and was excruciatingly painful! I was treated for thrush several times but it wasn't until I went to a bf counsellor that I had nipple vasospasm diagnosed. You can get it from trauma from a bad latch or from thrush but as I say, I got it while pg so not sure what the cause was - I always have cold hands and feet - though not painful - so thats probably related.

The best thing you can do is try and keep warm - easier said than done I know. Hot baths or a hot shower are good if it gets really sore. I went around all of last winter with those heat pads tucked in my bra! You can get ones that just warm up a bit and last for 8 hours from the pound shop.

If it is very painful and frequent you can get treatment for it - you get a two week course of nifedipine - which is I think a medication for high blood pressure - it gets your circulation going (cue hot flushes all day!) and then you stop taking it and see if the symptoms come back. I had two, two week courses.

I don't kow how difficult it would be to get out of your gp tbh, I was incredibly lucky that my gp had been to the same bf counsellor as me and knew how good she was so had no problems prescribing it but she did say she had never heard of vasospasm or been asked for nifedipine to treat it.

Blimey that was long! Hope it helps though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now