Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding a newborn - a few questions

(6 Posts)
Aubergenie Mon 13-Oct-08 07:59:02

Sorry if these are very obvious questions.

My DS is just over a week old and I am breast feeding. He's feeding every 3 hours or so, sometimes more. When he's at the breast, he'll often feed for a while then drop off to sleep, come round and feed some more. How do I know whether/when to offer the other breast? I know they need to get the hind milk for good nutrition and I'm worried I'm not keeping him on one breast for long enough.

Also, his tummy is quite gurgly when he feeds and he often seems a bit explosive afterwards. His stools are quite thin, almost liquidy. His tummy and farts dont seem to be upsetting him. Does this sound normal?

Finally, is there any food I should be avoiding while breast feeding?

Thanks!

tiktok Mon 13-Oct-08 09:18:07

All this sounds totally normal

Please don't worry about hindmilk - babies sort it out for themselves. As long as you ensure both breasts get plenty of opportunities to be fed from every day, you will be fine, and he will, too

If he drops off to sleep after one breast and then wakes up a little later, stick him on the other one.

Tummies are always gurgly - even adults' if you ever listen.

No need to avoid any food. If you notice a consistent problem then you could try experimenting, but babies bf all over the world and their mothers have different diets - on the whole babies are more than capable of coping.

Notquitegrownup Mon 13-Oct-08 09:20:30

Nothing to add, except congratulations! smile Tiktok is the ultimate authority on bfing on here, and knows what she is talking about!

Enjoy you lo.

Emma0802 Mon 13-Oct-08 11:03:38

i agree my baby still has a gurgly belly at 11 weeks after whatever i've eaten. As long as baby is feeding well they'll get themselves in to a routine.

Aubergenie Mon 13-Oct-08 11:50:05

That's great. Thanks for the reassurance! smile

foxytocin Mon 13-Oct-08 12:18:28

congratulations aubergenie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now