Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going away for 5 days without DS - poss to keep bf on return?

(10 Posts)
Fleecy Sun 12-Oct-08 15:08:32

I'm going away for 5 days at the end of Nov. DS will be 7.5mo. I never thought I'd still be bf him as I didn't manage to bf DD but I am - and I'd like to carry on up to a year if possible.

If I pump 3x a day while I'm away (he currently feeds 4x a day but will probably have dropped a feed by then as he's only just started on solids but he'll be well established on them), will I be able to keep my supply up and carry on feeding him when I'm back?

I'm planning on having a few quiet days when I get back so I can have lots of skin on skin etc.

TinkerBellesMum Sun 12-Oct-08 15:20:44

You should be able to, but get into the pumping habit now and get him used to a cup (I'm making assumptions based on what you haven't said, please don't take them the wrong way).

tiktok Sun 12-Oct-08 17:41:39

fleecy - this is not the greatest time to be away from a young baby - regardless of feeding method. Do you have options? Babies of this age can be very upset if their mums suddenly go away - yes, he may get over it but it could be very distressing.

Fleecy Sun 12-Oct-08 20:12:08

Unfortunately I do have to be away and can't take him with me. I'm trying to keep everything as normal as possible for both children - MIL and FIL live down the road and we see them a lot - they've kindly taken holiday so they can move in here. That way the children will be with familiar faces and in familiar surroundings at the very least. I'm not worried about DD as she's 2 and very independent but I do worry about DS.

Although i'll be away 5 days, I'll be there to see them in the morning of the first day before I go and back on the fifth day so there will only be three days I'm totally not there. Think I'll be the one in tears when I go sad

BabiesEverywhere Sun 12-Oct-08 20:37:34

"Unfortunately I do have to be away and can't take him with me."

I can understand you having to be away but where are you staying overnight ?

If you are staying in a hotel/B&B, what about asking one parent-in-law to stay over with you and your DS, so you could feed him in the evening and overnight. Your PIL could even bring him to you during your lunch hour and get a feed in then.

HTH

Neenztwinz Sun 12-Oct-08 20:53:34

Even if your milk supply diminishes slightly you can build it back up on your return.

I don't think you even HAVE to pump. As I understand it, if your baby sucks your milk would come back (not suggesting you do this, it is more a question really - am I right in thinking that, tiktok?)

Don't feel guilty about leaving him... I am sure he will survive. My sis left her DD at about this age for two weeks and she didn't even seem to notice. She is nine now and not a delinquent or anything hmmwink

tiktok Mon 13-Oct-08 09:10:02

Fleecy, neenztwinz is not quite right. If you suspend bf and do not express you will be very uncomfortable. Your supply would also take a real knock - retrievable but might need work.

I'm not implying, even in jest, that babies become delinquent as kids if their mums leave them for a few days. With love and patience, any distress can be overcome. But I am saying the baby might be upset whether there are obvious signs or not.

Fleecy Mon 13-Oct-08 16:14:18

Thanks for your posts - it's always nice when people take the time to respond and offer help and advice.

I'm trying to minimise the disruption for both children and have taken a few days off on my return to spend some real quality time hanging out at home with them. But I do realise however much else is constant while I'm away, they'll be aware that mum isn't there.

I'm going to start pumping now as suggested - I haven't really pumped for him as yet (he's had cartons if he's had to have a bottle before) so think that is a good idea. And I'll take the pump with me when I go and pump whenever he would have had a feed, so hopefully with a little time and some extra feeds, we'll get back on track quickly.

It's good to know I'm not being daft in thinking about it all beforehand and taking it seriously - but it's also nice to know I'm not the only one who's done it. How do celebrities manage?!

cmotdibbler Mon 13-Oct-08 16:19:57

I had to travel for work, and started to go away when DS was 6 months old, for up to a week at a time. We continued to BF until he was 23.5 months old, and supply wasn't ever a problem - I double pumped to feed times as much as possible.

And, fwiw, DS was and is, never distressed by me being away. Yes, he looks for me, but is in the loving care of his father and the nursery he always goes to. On the couple of occasions I have taken my mum and him away with me it has never worked very well.

NellyTheElephant Mon 13-Oct-08 16:43:55

I went away for 3 nights when I was exclusively bf DD2, she was only 3 months old, I'd stocked the freezer with EBM and my Mum looked after her. I pumped 4x a day and didn't have the slightest disruption to picking up feeding again on my return.

I know you have slightly different circs and a slightly longer time away but I'm sure if you pump at your usual feed times you will find your supply survives your absence and you get right back into it on your return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now