Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Green poo in BF 6 wk old - what does it mean?

(11 Posts)
digitalgirl Sun 12-Oct-08 10:52:31

DS did two poos overnight (after not doing any for 24 hours), DH did both changes so I didn't see the first one. But the last one at 7 this morning was very green. He's never had green poos before, does it mean he's not getting enough?

He slept quite a lot yesterday during the day(for the first time) so at one point went nearly 3.5 hours between feeds, but normally feeds every 1.5-3 hours. Should I be waking him up to feed today or could it be something I ate?

beansprout Sun 12-Oct-08 10:54:36

It often just means they had a lot of foremilk and is quite normal! smile

digitalgirl Sun 12-Oct-08 11:38:40

oh good, I thought it meant he wasn't getting enough. thanks! smile

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 12-Oct-08 11:42:52

my LO had this - HV said he may have got a bit dehydrated but that unless he has several in a row it shouls dort itself out. she recommended some cooled boiled water as i am mix feeding but i just offered the breast lots and the next poo was runny yellow!

elvisgirl Sun 12-Oct-08 12:09:22

If green poos carry on for a while then you can address the fore/hindmilk imbalance issue in various ways but the odd green poo here & then is not an issue - neither are successive ones really but it is probably more comfortable for the LO in terms of digestion & passing it.

digitalgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 17:56:40

the green poos have continued since Saturday night. anyone know what I should do?

I mentioned it to the GP at his 6 week check-up yesterday and he said not to worry about it, but everything else I've read says it means either underfed, a stomach bug, or something I ate. He seems fine otherwise.

scarymcclary Tue 14-Oct-08 17:59:01

I thought it was a sign of overfeeding!

SqueakyPop Tue 14-Oct-08 17:59:40

Green poos = snacking. Too much foremilk.

tiktok Tue 14-Oct-08 18:17:55

Green poo is not a sign of anything that needs to be 'put right' in a healthy, thriving baby. It may be a sign of fighting off an infection; it may be a sign the milk he has had is proportionately lower in fat ('foremilk') but it doesn't matter. Some babies have green poo all the time.

It can mean underfeeding but there are always other signs,and it can mean the baby is taking large volumes of milk as well.

Like the doc says, not a problem if your baby is fine

elvisgirl Tue 14-Oct-08 23:29:59

I got rid of my LO's run of green poos following measures for improving the fore/hind milk imbalance - see here: http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html Although not a problem you may be able to change it through these tips if you want to. I didn't have to keep doing these things once he got back to yellow poos as it seemed to be ok itself afterwards.

digitalgirl Wed 15-Oct-08 23:22:14

Thanks for the link elvisgirl, some of those signs seem to fit with fast letdown, my nipples are often white at the tip after a feed, or he clamps down hard - although I've never thought I had this as I've never leaked and he's definitely not being overfed as he's only on the 9th centile. But as TikTok says if the doc says all's well, then it must be. I'll get him weighed next week to keep an eye on his growth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now