Talk

Advanced search

URGENT BF advice please re latch...TIKTOK???

(7 Posts)
rascal1979 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:24:13

A friend is having BF difficulties with her week old baby.

She has had sore nipple despite being told that he has a good latch. She has just rung to say that her nipple has cracked.

Any advice to help her through the night.

She is going ot try hand expressing in a warm bath and using Lahnisoh.....

She is on the verge of giving up cos she is in so much pain

rascal1979 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:39:38

Bump....

fishie Fri 10-Oct-08 22:48:30

oh dear, ds is wailing but fast

cracked nip = bad latch. lansinoh moist healing no air drying

get help for latch. why express? not to feed? week old need to feed lots. skin to skin and everybody else must make sure she is free to feed not offer bottles.

fishie Fri 10-Oct-08 22:50:48

ok he is quiet now but not sure i could have put it better with more time smile

elvisgirl Fri 10-Oct-08 22:51:20

I'm not tiktok but I feel for your friend! Sounds like babe may have a good latch in terms of being able to get the milk but it's not so good for mum. Some soreness is inevitable while you get used to it & I guess some people are more sensitive, but it could just be a matter of changing the latch position by a fraction so it is better for all concerned. She should really see a counsellor in person if poss - or maybe just an experienced midwife. If she is having difficulty finding someone try asking at GP's surgeries or the maternity ward.
Nipple shields are an option but should really be tried in conjunction with a decent counsellor.
Giving up completely does not have to be the only option - she could supplement & try to keep up the supply by expressing. Clearly this is difficult with such a young babe & can lead to supply issues tho. She may find a pump easier to express with, if she uses one with a variable suction and soft cup. Painkillers may help too - paracetamol is considered safe to take when bfing but obviously try the lowest dose.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 10-Oct-08 22:55:02

can she try adjusting his postioning a wee bit; if her DCs head is either too far towards her armpit or the other way then this can cause problems.

Also, has baby been checked for tongue tie? this too can cause problems.

As a short term measure, maybe trying the rugby ball hold will help, and skin to skin...lots of it. also she can look at some biological nurturing positions

She can fix this with the right support.....has she seen a qualified BFC, or is the "good latch" advice coming form the CMW or HV?

I found it harder to get the latch right on one side than the other, but with support and perseverence we got there.

and congratulations to your friend on her baby smile

rascal1979 Fri 10-Oct-08 22:58:56

Thanks

Fishie - suggested expressing to keep her supply up just cos feeding is so painful. Only for a coupl eof feeds til she can see a BF counsellor.

Have suggested that she try feeding him in the bath - more relaxed for both and skin to skin etc

Elvis - have suggested she take paracetamol too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now