Talk

Advanced search

help urgently - how can I get medicine into bf baby who hates anything non-breast

(6 Posts)
kayjayel Thu 09-Oct-08 19:32:09

dd is beside herself, too upset to feed, I think I'll need to get some medicine into her but its not proving at all easy - what might work? I have a syringe thing. Its a bad cold I think - can't breathe easily, probably painful sinuses (I have it too).

She's 16 weeks, excl bf, and won't take a bottle, doesn't suck the syringe when I try it. Oh and she's screaming, a lot.
Help!

artichokes Thu 09-Oct-08 19:33:42

Fill the syringe,
Let her suckle at the nipple,
Poke the syringe in teh corner of her mouth while she is still suckling,
Squirt medicine slowly.

Good luck!

scorpio1 Thu 09-Oct-08 19:34:08

blow on her face gently, it makes them swallow

bristols Thu 09-Oct-08 19:34:58

Put the syringe into her mouth in between her gum and cheek and gently squeeze it in. She doesn't need to suck it that way and it'll all go down.

Have you tried a spoon? Might be worth a try.

Good luck

madamy Thu 09-Oct-08 19:35:10

squirt with syringe into back of cheek then blow gently on her face to make her swallow. You don't want the medicine to hit the back of her throat!

kayjayel Thu 09-Oct-08 19:47:19

Thank you so much for tips - I knew MN would tell me what to do! I couldn't get her to feed at all, and she didn't swallow but I think she;s in too bad a state to cope at the moment. I'll try all suggestions in the night when she's feeding. She's exhausted from crying and is dozing now poor thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now