Talk

Advanced search

Leaving a BF baby for 36 hours

(13 Posts)
Shooflypie Wed 08-Oct-08 23:25:46

My friend (yes really smile) has to go on a business trip to Zurich - leaving at 7am one day and returning 1pm the next. She doesn't want to take her DS on two flights in two days, so is planning to express and her DH will look after him at home.
Her DS will be 5.5mo is exlBF and she is worried that he will be unhappy without the breast for this long.

I thought her DH could practise giving DS EBM before she goes - anyone got any advice/ideas/experience of this that may help?

Shooflypie Wed 08-Oct-08 23:28:41

Sorry - I mean experience of leaving a LO, not DHs doing feeds.......

ilovemydog Thu 09-Oct-08 10:12:44

I've left DS for 8 hours at nursery for 3 days when he was 6 months and it was awful - mainly because it wasn't planned!

very long story, but he did have enough ebm to keep him going. It took him a long time to settle.

What I would be concerned about aren't the feeds during the day, but at night.

She will need to expess lots so as not to compromise supply.

But wouldn't a better idea be to take DS and DH with her? I've taken a 4 month old to the US, and it was fine (we transferred to an internal flight).

Shooflypie Thu 09-Oct-08 12:17:18

Poor DS and you - that sounds horrid sad

Why do you think the night feeds a worry in particular?

She will have to work all day and late into the evening, so I suppose taking her DS and DH isn't 100% straightforward.
I wondered if she could leave some clothes that smelled of her, for her DS to cuddle up to when he is feeding?!

(Hmm - I am remembering sending my DP off with a bottle of EBM for our DS to have after swimming. DP said he just spat the bottle out and looked at him like he was mad...)

SharpMolarBear Thu 09-Oct-08 12:26:36

It's not necessarily the case - my DS has always been fine with bottles of EBM, and on the night I spent in hospital when he was 17weeks (not planned) actually slept through the night for DH envy
(hadn't done it before, has done it twice since I think. He is 17 months!!)
Definitely would try him on a bottle before she goes.
I personally would leave as much EBM as possible and some cartons of formula. My main concern would be for her supply and engorgement - that night I tried to express to keep up my supply but did still have problems after discharge, and that included me feeding him a few times when family brought him in.

Shooflypie Thu 09-Oct-08 14:49:52

Gosh - imagined she would need to express because of engorgement but had no idea that her supply could be affected so drastically in a relatively short time.

That's great advice, thank you!

Bramshott Thu 09-Oct-08 14:54:31

She will need to pump and dump - A LOT - but I'm sure they'll be fine. Those Medela battery operated pumps are good and mean you can express anywhere (I have sat next to people on planes and in cafes using them, but I work in a business where bf and working is very normal).

ilovemydog Thu 09-Oct-08 15:30:09

Or get a cool bag, lansinoh bags since it's such a short time.

Mammina Thu 09-Oct-08 15:33:51

I would definitely try it before going, but she should make sure that she is well out of the way so that DS can't smell or sense her. DD absolutely refused to take a bottle if I was anywhere near her

Bramshott Fri 10-Oct-08 20:59:15

Hmm, if it's soon, and if there's no choice, I would NOT try her DS on a bottle before she goes. If it goes badly, she will feel awful, and chances are, if she is not there and there is no choice, her DS will have to take the bottle.

Mammina Fri 10-Oct-08 21:11:15

good point bramshott.
btw I have just noticed your previous post saying you expressed on planes and cafes - my medela was SO loud though - I remember the first time I used it I thought ooh I'll relax in front of the telly and do it - I couldn't HEAR the bleedin telly!!

janx Fri 10-Oct-08 21:21:53

I had to leave my ds - 7 months for 21 hours. My dad was in intensive care in Ireland and I went to see him...flying out really early and getting back really late. In that time I had to express a few times and my god my boobs were like cannon balls when I got home. It did affect my supply for a few days and I had to feed ds more to get the supply back up again. Ds was never keen on bottles but did take some

Bramshott Fri 10-Oct-08 22:01:18

Migola - I think they are loud in comparison to the telly, but quite quiet in a load environment like a plane. They are also quieter with batteries in that on the mains. (BTW it wasn't me who had expressed in those situations, but several friends)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: