Talk

Advanced search

Which one is the best milk formula?

(8 Posts)
aiti72 Wed 08-Oct-08 09:05:43

I'm mixed feeding(happily again!) and just wondering which of these formula brands is the best(last time bought formula in Finland).. I figured (possibly wrongly) that it cannot be SMA as it's the cheapest, Cow and Gate and Aptamil are about the same price. We're using C and G now but would like to buy the formula which is considered the best here(e.g. containing prebiotics). Any opinions or advice from you ladies?

Shitehawk Wed 08-Oct-08 09:08:24

They are all pretty much of a muchness, despite the price difference and despite what the advertising may have you believe!

There is no best formula, just the one which your baby takes to best. And if you are mix-feeding you don't need to worry about any added pre-biotics and such gubbins because the baby will be getting those when you breast-feed him.

chequers Wed 08-Oct-08 09:09:43

I'm mixed feeding too and I think they're all much of a muchness. I've heard prebiotics can upset babies - we use Hipp organic which doesn't have them. When we go out we use the aptamil cartons.

I really don't thin there's much in it though.

(p.s hope you don't get lots of answers now telling you to exclusively b/f)

chequers Wed 08-Oct-08 09:10:19

x post shitehawk!

P.S do you live in brighton?

islandofsodor Wed 08-Oct-08 09:39:29

When I was mixed feeding I used Cow & Gate organic as at the time it was the only formula without fish oil/probiotics in. I figured ds was getting all that sort of thing from breatmilk amnyway and wasn't convinced as to the safety of adding it to formula.

Otherwise I would just pick the cheapest/easiest to get hold of in the supermarket milk and try that.

aiti72 Wed 08-Oct-08 09:40:15

Thanks, chequers, very hard for a breastfeeding enthusiast to tell me to do it exclusively, DD1 is thriving and was almost two before she was ill with a common cold(very rarely since), DD2 lost her horrible extended breastmilk jaundice and first time really 'woke up' a minute after I gave her formula! Also, I cannot wait until I can stop bfing as my hormones are all over the place until I get my body back full stop.

aiti72 Wed 08-Oct-08 09:43:14

Interesting point that about not giving prebiotics, in Nordic countries(at least in Norway and Finland) health visitors have adviced to give them (yes, even for fully bf babies)... But then again not the first time countries differ in their advicegrin.

chequers Wed 08-Oct-08 09:44:36

Aiti72, I am so with you on both points.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: