Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When did your periods come back - at what stage in breastfeeding?

(20 Posts)
Frightattendent Tue 07-Oct-08 13:58:40

Ds2 is 16mo now and we've been trying to stop, but not very successfully...so he's having quite a few feeds overnight (well, using it as a dummy more like) and not many in the day.

Is this enough stopping to make my periods come back? Am hoping it is menstrual cramps and not just bad IBS...hmm

I think they came back around this time with ds1 but I stopped feeding him around this time, I mean properly stopped, so that's not really surprising!

stillstanding Tue 07-Oct-08 14:02:02

It really all depends on you.

My periods came back when DS was 5 months even though I was still exclusively bfing ...

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 07-Oct-08 14:02:39

Everyone's different, but mine came back 1 month after I stopped breastfeeding completely. I'd been feeding just once a day for a few weeks before that.

Lionstar Tue 07-Oct-08 14:03:30

Mine came back at about 5.5 months - the minute I tentatively started weaning.

castille Tue 07-Oct-08 14:07:24

Last time they came back when DS was 16 months and I was feeding twice a day.

Cadmum Tue 07-Oct-08 14:08:06

The amount that you are feeding would be sufficient to suppress my periods. I have been very, very fortunate with all four of our dcs. The earliest return was after ds1 (14 months) and the latest was after dd2 (26 months).

It varies greatly as you will see from the replies.

Frightattendent Tue 07-Oct-08 14:08:09

Phew, well I guess it could be then...that's good! Thanks..

babyredsox Tue 07-Oct-08 14:40:53

Well mine came back when my son was less than 3 months old and I was exclusively breastfeeding every 1.5 to 3 hours day and night!!

Some people are just unlucky

SoloTheCharmedOne Tue 07-Oct-08 14:43:36

Mine came back straight away both times even with exclusive bfing.

pinkspottywellies Tue 07-Oct-08 14:46:05

Mine came back when dd was 10 months. She was still feeding about 4 times in 24 hours.

waitingtobloom Tue 07-Oct-08 15:56:10

Mine came back yesterday. DD is only 4 weeks old and feeds every 1 - 2 hours! Someone tell me how that is fair please? Was 6 weeks with DS who also fed the same.

xx

babyredsox Tue 07-Oct-08 17:51:30

waitingtobloom - I still had lochia bleeding at 5 weeks! That's unbelievably unfair, poor you!!

pinner4 Tue 07-Oct-08 17:59:38

mine came back as soon as stopped breast-feeding, like normal

waitingtobloom Tue 07-Oct-08 19:56:30

babyredsox - I know! Fairly lucky in that lochia seem to last 2 weeks tops and only a week of that is heavy but this is really mean!

Maggieb52 Fri 10-Oct-08 00:20:05

feeling really cheated. 2 months for me and I exclusively BF til 6 months weaning off boob at nearly 2. Incidentally, has anybody ever seen research in terms of baby weight gain and the return of periods? Mine were both slow to gain weight and as it is 12.20am my mind is developing its own theories linking both?

thumbwitch Fri 10-Oct-08 01:14:49

mine have only just started coming back - I think the first one was about 3 weeks ago (only 1 day tho) and then again this week, properly this time - DS is now 10mo and still bfing 5-6x a day/night.

TettyLouBar Fri 10-Oct-08 09:39:30

Can I just ask - My Dr said that I will have as much chance of falling pregnant whilst breast feeding as I would if I was on the pill again. (His reasoning behind not letting me back on the progesterone only pill)
He says until I stop BF, I wont be ovulating AT ALL, is this true? I thought we were still supposed to be careful??

boogeek Fri 10-Oct-08 09:43:32

TLB, your doctor sounds ill-informed: plenty of people fall pregnant while breastfeeding. There's an article here - if your periods have not returned you have a good chance of not getting pg but it is by no means guaranteed.
That said - I have no idea what pg rates on the pill are, so perhaps he is correct.

boogeek Fri 10-Oct-08 09:44:24

Oh, and to answer the OP: 21 months with DD1, which coincided with her sleeping through the night. Still waiting second time (23 months and counting)

TettyLouBar Fri 10-Oct-08 09:45:39

Yes its misleading I feel. I really felt that what he was saying was rather ill advice. I didn't take it literally - but others might! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now