Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - latching & weight gain paranoia

(6 Posts)
ataraxis Tue 07-Oct-08 12:08:14

DD1 (DC3) is 3.5 weeks old. She was born 6lb13 and weighed 6lb11 at 9 days. Just had her weighed today and she is 6lb15.5. Health visitor said it was fine as she is putting on weight, but clearly not a huge amount so to keep an eye on it.

She is alert, pooing, sleeping 6 hours at night (not much in the day) and seems fine but both my other DCs bf well for the first 2-3 weeks and then stopped, and I ended up mix feeding them from around that point. I would really love to continue fully bf with DC3, particularly as she is my last child.

When she starts a feed she goes through all of the correct motions (wide open mouth etc) but she doesn't seem to create a vacuum and sometimes drags her bottom lip up when going on. There is no nipple pain when she is feeding but she quite often changes her suck, slipping her mouth closer together towards the end of a feed, resulting in some discomfort and me taking her off.

She cluster feeds a lot, and sometimes seems to be breathing through her mouth - there are quite often clicking and slurping noises when she feeds and she often gets hiccups after a feed.

I am keen not to interefere (expressing etc) until I am sure that bf is established properly, but also want to ensure that she stays healthy and happy.

Am I being completely paranoid because of previous experience, or does it sound like she is having latching issues?

ataraxis Tue 07-Oct-08 12:58:21

anyone?

morethanasong Tue 07-Oct-08 14:37:17

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me as if her latch could be improved. Can you contact a bf counsellor for help?

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 07-Oct-08 14:55:39

That sounds very similar to my DD when she was around that age. She just couldn't get her mouth wide and more often than not 'sucked' my nipple into her mouth. We also had lots of clicking type noises as he latch wasn't 'watertight'.

She grew out of this by about 6-8 weeks iirc and it is now very difficult to break her vacuum like seal! I am sure that your LO will improve, but if you are getting some pain and you're concerned about the weight gain, it would be worthwhile seeing a bf counsellor just to check that latch and see if they have any tips.

ataraxis Tue 07-Oct-08 15:00:43

Thanks for your responses. There is a Baby Cafe near by so think I will go there on Thursday and see what they have to say.

sparkle12mar08 Tue 07-Oct-08 16:52:51

Has she been checked for tongue tie by someone who knows what they are doing? Always worth ruling that out early on. Both a midwife and an HV checked my son and said it was not serious but I insisted on a referal. The consultant said it was a severe 75% tie hmm. He was still gaining weight but the quality of the feed experience and the rate of the weight gain improved markedly once it was snipped

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: