Talk

Advanced search

Expressing - will it be ok if

(8 Posts)
hotpotmama Tue 07-Oct-08 09:37:14

my DS has expressed milk that has been in the fridge for 26/ 27 hours instead of the recommended 24? Is just I haven't got any sterilized freezer bags and need to go out today so need my mum to feed him.

mangolassi Tue 07-Oct-08 09:43:55

Is it really only supposed to be ok for 24 hours? dd had expressed milk that had been in the (back of the) fridge (away from the door) for like, 2 or 3 days after expressing.
((Puts lots of caveats in brackets to try to feel like less crap mother))
Maybe dd has a stomach of steel, but she never got sick.
Should I blush?

hotpotmama Tue 07-Oct-08 09:45:38

I don't know, just what it says on the tommee tippee expressing leaflet. That makes me feel better it must be ok then.

Am sure you are a great mother mango, thanks for reply!!!

Milkmade Tue 07-Oct-08 09:50:28

The advice I got from the dutch equivalent of HVs was 4-5 days is fine as long as you keep the milk good and cold (we lowered our firdge temp by 2 degrees to ~4C) - I fed DD expressed milk 4 days a week at nursery till she was one based on this advice and she was never ill from it.

mangolassi Tue 07-Oct-08 10:02:25

Oh good, milkmade agrees too. Honestly, though, it used to take me so long to get the damned lovely stuff, heartbreaking to tip it down the sink, eh?

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 07-Oct-08 10:05:48

This may help

VeryHungryKatypillar Tue 07-Oct-08 10:07:05

Aah, pants. try this url http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

hotpotmama Wed 08-Oct-08 22:01:55

thanks everyone for all your replies. He seemed ok after it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now