Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Baby Taking Too Much Milk

(5 Posts)
Clairemac2004 Mon 06-Oct-08 21:02:44

I have just changed to formula/EBM feeds by bottle with my baby. How do I know how much to give her.

She seems to want loads of milk in the evening but I think she may be taking too much as she then ends up uncomfortable and wide awake.

Tryharder Mon 06-Oct-08 23:22:43

How old is your lo? I would follow the guide on the formula tin to start with and then follow your baby's cues as to whether she wants more or less.

For example, if you offer 5oz at each feed and she is finishing the bottle and still fussing/rooting at the end of the feed, you might want to increase the amount in each bottle. But if your DD wants more milk in the evening, then I see no problem in giving it to her - the best advice I was ever given was "listen to your baby".

If you think your DD is uncomfortable after a feed, then have you tried giving the bottle more slowly. Babies will gulp bottles if allowed. Particularly for a young baby, I would wind after every ounce consumed.

I would also keep an eye on her wet/dirty nappies and have her weighed frequently. Your HV might also be able to advise.

I am no expert however so am only going on my own experience.

mytetherisending Mon 06-Oct-08 23:38:41

I second winding quite frequently through feeds if she will let you (mine screamed blue murder if I removed the bottle before it was drained grin She won't over feed iyswim.
How old is she? It has rough guides in my GF book so I can give you a rough guide.

mytetherisending Tue 07-Oct-08 00:00:36

Have just found the rough guide- before 4mths approx 2 1/2oz per lb body weight divided into 6/7 feeds. HTH

Mine is on 3 meals per day and takes between 12 and 18oz per day depending on food intake.

VeniVidiVickiQV Tue 07-Oct-08 00:07:43

It's not uncommon for babies to feed a lot in the evening.

Try a smaller gauge teat - she might be getting the milk too fast and getting wind if she's used to b/feeding.

It's unusual for a baby to take too much milk tbh. They are pretty good at regulating things for themselves (it's usually the adults that end up screwing up a child's natural instinctive appetite smile).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now