Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

how long before you went public?

(33 Posts)
Tipex Wed 02-Mar-05 18:46:30

I was wondering how long it took people before they had the confidence to BF in public? I have no qualms about getting them out as it were but it still sometimes takes DS ages to latch on right and in the meantime he cries and squirms adn I think it would be embarrassing to be in public whilst hes still doing this. I guess we'll get better at it but wondered how long others went before they were confident enough? Its kind of holding me back from wanting to go far and I'm going to get big time cabin fever at this rate!!

Ameriscot2005 Wed 02-Mar-05 18:47:31

less than a week

Caligula Wed 02-Mar-05 18:49:50

I sympathise Tipex - it took me about six weeks, and I was never any good at it. Flopped them about all over the place, while everyone else seemed to have effortlessly draped pashminas covering them up discreetly and elegantly.

Pollyanna Wed 02-Mar-05 18:51:16

it was 6 weeks with my first, but this time had to do it much earlier (including on the bus yesterday!). I still found it embarrassing to start with as I hadn't mastered the art of feeding surrepticiously (I can't spell that at all!!).

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Wed 02-Mar-05 18:54:34

as soon as I went out.

tassis Wed 02-Mar-05 18:55:19

2 days old, but i was VERY indiscreet for ages!

Yorkiegirl Wed 02-Mar-05 18:55:48

Message withdrawn

beansprout Wed 02-Mar-05 18:58:08

Took me longer, only just comfortable now at 4 months. Did have to sooner e.g. at a christening but didn't like it. If you can go out with other b/f mums it makes it much easier - saftey in numbers and all that!!

spod Wed 02-Mar-05 18:59:27

about 6 weeks with me too... wont hesitate next time though! and however hard you try, your babe will expose you at some time... usually when you havent noticed and they have been unlatched for 10 minutes or more!

HunkerMunker Wed 02-Mar-05 19:01:55

First fed in public public when DS was a month and a day old (I have a weird ability to remember dates - don't ask!) - in a busy Starbucks. Thought everyone would be looking, quite disappointed when nobody did But had fed at parents' and in-laws' houses before then (and in the car). Do it anywhere now (DS 11 months old tomorrow).

HappyMumof2 Wed 02-Mar-05 19:05:47

Message withdrawn

vict17 Wed 02-Mar-05 19:08:09

By public does being in your own home when relatives/ friends come round? I hated it in the fist few weeks when people came to visit and I felt rude not to feed in the lounge (you can't really disappear upstairs for an hour at a time) and I remember struggling with nipple shields, breast pads, lanisoh etc etc with in-laws chatting and drinking tea in the same room. I really hated it

Ameriscot2005 Wed 02-Mar-05 19:09:44

I always wore baggy teeshirts and found that I could BF without over-exposing. I don't care about being discreet (ie no one realising what I am doing - I'm happy for people to know exactly what I'm doing ), but I don't particularly want to my nipples to do a search-light impersonation.

In the early days, when I had to look to see if all was well, I'd just turn my back on the room for a few seconds. After a few days, the baby knows where to find the boob, so no over-exposure required.

highlander Wed 02-Mar-05 20:17:48

when DS was 10 days old, at the health clinic then on the beach a few days later.

However, he transformed into a distractable baby, so our feeds are confined to the quiet of my home now (otherwise I'd lose my nipples!)

misdee Wed 02-Mar-05 20:19:23

couple of days iirc with dd1. fed dd3 in public for the 1st time on saturday.

gingerbear Wed 02-Mar-05 20:28:29

I was lucky, as DD latched on very well from the start (C section baby too)
I remember wopping them out on the seafront at Cleethorpes when she was 3 weeks old No one batted an eyelid.

My favourite place was a swanky cafe in Puerto Banus, looking at the millionaires yachts in the harbour.

muminlondon Wed 02-Mar-05 20:31:06

About 4 months. The early weeks were painful and I didn't even leave the house for 3 weeks though that's also because I had a caesarean. Then although it became easier I still found it hard to be discreet as dd couldn't keep still. I never really did it much in public places but by the the time she was on 5 feeds or less per day and it only took 10 minutes I didn't really think of it as a problem (still kept it up fully till 7 months and part-time for a year).

Posey Wed 02-Mar-05 21:08:37

From the word go, first trip out at around 10 days with both of them. I'm not really brazen in letting everyone see what I've got though. Fortunately dd was born at the beginning of summer so she was fed in many of the garden squares around here. If I was in a cafe, I'd tend to sit with my back to as many people as possible.
Ds was fed sitting on the pavement outside next (we were desperate!) Fortunately my neighbour happened to pass by and she kind of shielded me from prying eyes to some extent.
I always found the local children's departments of bookshops good, Usually chairs to sit on and other parents around who hopefully won't be too surprised by it.

CarrieG Wed 02-Mar-05 21:08:46

Day after birth in front of my dad - I was fine, but he's an old fashioned bloke & quite obviously didn't know whether to look away or to determinedly make conversation - don't think he's seen my nipples since before my teens!

After that, in front of ANYONE was easy by comparison, except my Head of Dept. when he popped round to wet the baby's head - same reason, visibly embarrassed bloke making me feel slightly edgy...

Posey Wed 02-Mar-05 21:10:47

Gingerbear - just noticed your post. Mine have both been fed on Cleethorpes front. One on a glorious sunny day, the other when it was blowing a gale and I was waiting for dh to arrive with the car. Very bracing

gingerbear Wed 02-Mar-05 21:15:09

Was bracing when I fed DD Posey - think Cleethorpes is always bracing - North Sea coastline.
Can highly recommend Puerto Banus!!

pootlepod Wed 02-Mar-05 21:27:38

Can't remember, though I think the first few times were round NCT friend's places, outside in park etc about 6 weeks on. Fed in front of friends/family at home from about 2 weeks on. DD was quite discrete about it though.

The worst time for me was when I had to breastfeed in my work staffroom, had popped on ML. But chose a discrete corner and got on with it. Don't think my colleagues minded that much, stopped the squawking!

PiccadillyCircus Wed 02-Mar-05 21:50:21

The first time I bf DS in public was at a Mum and Baby group when he was 3.5 weeks. The same evening I fed him at a Christmas dinner with people from DH's law course.

And then I kept feeding him everywhere.

lunarx Thu 03-Mar-05 14:30:30

ds was about a month old... but i was never comfortable bf'ing in public, so expressing was a godsend...

moondog Thu 03-Mar-05 14:36:03

2 weeks. Beergarden of our local pub. Boy did that pint taste good!

'wopped then out'!!! Horrid expression (but v funny)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now