Talk

Advanced search

4 month growth spurt - Sore nipples!

(4 Posts)
Becky77 Sun 05-Oct-08 09:12:01

Hi there everyone, My DD is just turning 4 months and is feeding with gusto... Only problem is my nipples are really hurting and she keeps coming off the boob unsatisfied, I guess because the fast flow has run out?? It feel like my boobs are suddenly a lot softer as well so there's not as much of the fast flow for her...

Any advice other than "just feed, feed, feed"?

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Oct-08 09:17:33

The softness is not because you have no milk but because the boobs have expanded to the correct size - whereas in the first few months they are growing/contracting a lot.

Sore boobs points to a poor latch - in the first few months you may not have noticed, or your DD may have teeth now and so you have suddenly noticed she's not quite latched on right - check she's aligned straight and not dragging on the nipple, use pillows etc to get her in a comfortable position.

Your boobs catch up with the feeding frenzy in about five days

Meanwhile rest, drink lots of try not to worry - you are doing great!

Becky77 Sun 05-Oct-08 09:22:21

I certainly did notice latch problems... I was in agony for the first 10 weeks... This is why I'm reluctant to go down this path again... I plan to stop breast feeding at 6 months anyway so perhaps a gradual reduction over time is for the best.

whomovedmychocolate Sun 05-Oct-08 10:17:25

If you want to give up that's fine. But the latch problem is no doubt fixable - make an appt to see your HV and ask her to watch you feed - often it's a simple thing that solves the problem - with me it was lying DD on a pillow that raised her to the right height and lifting my boob slightly.

Breastfeeding is hard work. I'm still feeding DD (2) and have an 11 week old. We've just gone through a major growth spurt (DS is close to 20lbs now) so I do know how you feel

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: