Talk

Advanced search

i can't bring up his wind

(13 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 04-Oct-08 12:55:50

he's crying so much and i've tried everything. did someone suggest giving fennel tea to babies? i'm dubious but is this safe?

compo Sat 04-Oct-08 13:08:06

sad
your poor thing, how old is he?

thequietone Sat 04-Oct-08 13:11:41

It was me. It's the most common form of wind relief for babies in Germany (I wish I'd know about it when I was in the UK with DS1). It's absolutely 100% safe. They don't need loads, usually just a few sips. It's funny, if you put a hand of their tummy as they drink it, you can actually feel the bubbles burst. DS2 was dreadful with trapped wind. I remember his arched back, screaming in pain. After a few sips of tepid fennel tea, his whole body relaxed.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 04-Oct-08 13:32:50

he's 3 weeks - is that too young for tea? i've been drinking it myself but i'll try anything!

thequietone Sat 04-Oct-08 20:01:28

No no. I started DS2 on it from 3 weeks old. Just kept a bottle to hand. He wasn't fussed whether it was warm or cold, as it was the fennel that did the trick. He was exclusively breastfed, but didn't seem to get confused with the bottle.

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:10:24

Okay, don't panic. Lay him face down on your thighs and run your fingers in circles firmly on his back. If this doesn't work cup his chin firmly in your hand to support his neck and sit him bolt upright against your body.

It's just possible he's actually hungry though - what makes you sure it's wind, if he's going through a growth spurt he could be just starving and mummy just keeps patting him

ilovemydog Sat 04-Oct-08 20:12:23

tummy rub - in clockwise motions under belly button...

whomovedmychocolate Sat 04-Oct-08 20:14:46

Are there any other people in the house - whenever I can't get DS's wind up I hand him to someone else and he instantly burps or vomits on them grin

rosealbie Sat 04-Oct-08 20:16:00

Or hold him against you as upright as possible and then press the plam of the hand firmly against the side of his tummy and alternate.

sasamax Sat 04-Oct-08 20:32:06

Lean back in your seat and hold him down your front with his back on your chest. Rub gently downwards on his tummy.
Hold him and dance to cheesy pop enthusiastically.
Steps is very good for this!
Otherwise, some babies react well to infacol.
Good luck and remember it will pass no matter what you do. x

hercules1 Sat 04-Oct-08 20:38:08

Is he breastfed? I have a feeling the latest advice is you dont have to wind them so might be something else bothering him? I might be wrong though.

sasamax Sat 04-Oct-08 20:41:25

Well I am never sure that it is wind but it def seems to be that it is some sort of digestive discomfort. I say this since 'winding' always helped my two although generally burps didn't come up. V strange!

lauraloola Sat 04-Oct-08 21:44:58

Dd used to be a nightmare to wind. We tried Infacol and gripe water. We found that the best way was to bounce her gently on our knee. I think it dislodges the air and she winds brilliantly now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now