Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I giving my ds too much milk?

(6 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 03-Oct-08 20:03:18

I don't know if this is the right place, as technically it's neither breastfeeding or bottle feeding I'm asking about. DS is 1 and he has a 200ml cup of cow's milk with breakfast, the same mid afternoon and a 7oz bottle of cow's at bedtime. He doesn't each that much, I give him three meals plus two snacks but he just picks really. He seems well in himself, he's active and healthy, and I know toddlers often don't eat much but I wondered if I was filling him up too much with milk.

Mutt Fri 03-Oct-08 21:30:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeadFairy Fri 03-Oct-08 22:15:57

Thanks for that mutt. My biggest concern was that he was getting a good range of nutrition. I don't imagine you can get everything you need from just milk, but I suppose even if he's just picking at food he's getting a little of something, even if it's just a mouthful.

Seona1973 Fri 03-Oct-08 22:55:41

the recommended minimum is 350mls per day (approx 12oz) from 1 year with 12-20oz being regarded as ok. Have you tried missing out the mid-afternoon feed to see if it improves his appetite for solids? Both my dd and ds were down to 2 feeds by 11 months with the daytime feeds being replaced with a snack and a drink of water.

FAQ Fri 03-Oct-08 22:58:09

HeadFairy - DS3 is like that - he still has 4 bottles (9oz) a day and he's 16 months. I've tried cutting out bottles - but he either then wakes in the night (so gets it then) or "cluster" feeds in the evening until he's had his quota.

He's happy, and seems healthy, big for his age - and does pick at all types of food. I've figured he'll eat more when he's ready - they're all different.

HeadFairy Mon 06-Oct-08 17:43:32

thanks FAQ and Seona... I did try to give up the afternoon milk but he was desperate for it, really whingey and whiney until I gave him some, so I figured he's not ready for that to go just yet. He's been a bit better this weekend, up and down, but he actually ate a whole sandwich yesterday which amazed me! I guess like you say, he'll have more when he's ready. It's really hard as adults for us to forget our preconceived ideas about food. He quite often likes his pudding before his "main" course which took some getting used to. I guess they're just quirky like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now