Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave BF baby with no boob for 36 hrs?

(20 Posts)
Freddiecat Tue 01-Mar-05 23:18:32

My DD is now 8 months old. She is breast-fed and has not had a single milk feed from a cup etc. (not from want of trying). On 12th March I have a wedding to go to the other side of the country which I would really like to go to because I NEED A BREAK and also all my old uni friends will be there.

She eats solids pretty well - although recently lost a few oz due to a bad cold but is back up again. Last week she went on a feeding strike and refused the breast for 48 hrs (no idea why) until I coaxed her back on with a sleepy feed. She slept through the night both times and made up for it with solids (with loads of formula mixed in).

I am at home with DD and DS who is nearly 3. DP is unable to give me much support (with childcare or housework) as he is ill - and is also at home all day. My parents live 3 hrs away and have agreed to look after the children whilst I am away so I'd go down to theirs a couple of days before the wedding. The plan is that I leave about 8am Saturday morning and return about 8pm Sunday night. DD currently has breastfeeds at 7am, 2:30pm and 6:30pm. She often is not fussed about her 2:30 feed.

I am so desperate for a break - I am getting ratty with the kids far too often and burst into tears (including throwing things in kitchen) 3 times yesterday evening. Both kids are really clingy at the moment - DD has a low-level wingeging when she wants to be (frequently) picked up and DS just asks for a cuddle about every 10 minutes.

I know that if DD takes enough solids she'll be fine for 36hrs as she did it last week (but on her terms). I can give her the first feed on Saturday and if she's not already settled the last feed on Sunday.

I'm worried it's unfair on her, and my parents. Taking her with me is pointless since it's a 5 hour train journey and I'd wind up wishing I'd stayed at home.

Any thoughts or opinions?

sparklymieow Tue 01-Mar-05 23:25:41

could you express some milk for her? See if she will take it.

moondog Tue 01-Mar-05 23:29:39

Oh you must go! Express while away to keep up your supply/keep yourself comfortable and the baby WILL feed from a cup/bottle if hungry/thirsty. She will!!
My ds is 8 mths too.Wish I was gallivanting!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 01-Mar-05 23:30:53

yes!

alexsmum Tue 01-Mar-05 23:31:59

I think you should just go for it.

you say she's not too fussed about her afternoon feed, so she's only REALLY going miss a couple of feeds and having a rejuvenated mummy who feels more relaxed and happy is going to be way better for her than than those few feeds.

She's having solids with formula mixed in.i think she'll be fine.

HunkerMunker Tue 01-Mar-05 23:32:00

Yes, go! Do it! Enjoy yourself, and your DD will keep herself comfortable and surprise you, I'm sure! Hugs!

champs Wed 02-Mar-05 15:32:54

another vote for going!! sounds like you need a break hun and some time to be you. dd will no doubt drink from your parents as you wont be there ( my ds seems to drink from a cup when i'm not there) you kiddies will be able to have a break too.
Enjoy yourself and take your pump with you as suggested by moondog.

mears Wed 02-Mar-05 17:04:09

Definately go. I went away for 2 nights when DS3 was 8 months old. I left EBM in the freezer and expressed for comfort when I was away. He fed fine when I got back. You may well find that she will drink from a cup/bottle when you are gone if she is desparate to suck. Go and enjoy. She will be fine

Freddiecat Wed 02-Mar-05 19:36:48

Thanks for your support. DP tried for about 15 mins to give her formula this evening but she wouldn't touch a drop and I eventually fed her as she was so upset. I have some EBM in the freezer so will try it but was trying to get her on formula as I have to drive 3 hrs to my parents so can't take it with me and can't express enough in 1 day for the weekend.

stitch Wed 02-Mar-05 20:06:58

i think you should definitly go.
and i think that this would be the perfect oppurtunity to wean her of breastmilk. (assuming that you want to) go, have a good time, and dont worry about your baby. her gp will take good careof her.

PrettyCandles Wed 02-Mar-05 20:12:30

Another 'definitely go!' vote here. If you wrap the frozen EBM in several layers of newspaper together with some freezer blocks (if you have one) it should be fine in this cold weather until you reach your parents. And if it has defrosted then it'll be fine, too - just put it straight in the fridge.

Go on, you know your dd will be fine. Enjoy yourself .

Freddiecat Wed 02-Mar-05 22:17:55

Cool! My granny suggested diluting the formula for a while - or even giving her diluted cows milk as it doesn't smell (unlike nasty cheesy formula).

Want to continue breastfeeding BUT I do want to start the process of weaning and I agree - this would be a good opportunity since if I'm around - it's wasier to feed her!

champs Thu 03-Mar-05 16:59:44

not sure if cows milk is ok for babies, please double check. a tip i picked up was to add a little hot choc to the milk as b/m is quite sweet. I now add strawb milkshake to ds2(1 1/2 years)
agree with PC wrap up ebm straight from freezer or use a cool bag and will be fine if put in fridge when you get to parents house.

champs Thu 03-Mar-05 17:00:27

have you tried an avent soft spout with valve taken out?

morningpaper Thu 03-Mar-05 17:32:52

I would go! You might want to prepare for a bit of engorgement though! (Take some breastpads maybe?)

Freddiecat Tue 15-Mar-05 21:30:39

Well I did it! And she was fine! Fed her Satureday morning - and then 10pm Sunday night. SHe had very little to drink in between but ate loads. So it didn't help much with weaning her off but she was perfectly happy all weekend (as was I).

I still woke up at sodding 7am Sunady morning and had to express tho!

Thanks for all your encouragement!

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Tue 15-Mar-05 21:40:14

good for you honey. Well done!

moondog Tue 15-Mar-05 22:12:45

Oh that's great! Hope you had a good time!

kama Tue 15-Mar-05 22:15:40

Message withdrawn

champs Wed 16-Mar-05 02:10:49

well done! glad it went well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now