Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when your breast milk has dried up?

(3 Posts)
HelloMama Tue 01-Mar-05 19:32:16

Is this a silly question? Just how do you know if your breast milk has dried up?

I have been breast feeding for nearly 7 months. In the last month or so I would say I have breast fed only a few times in the day and 1-2 times at night. Since last week I would say I never feel 'full' anymore and baby has become quite constipated. Today I tried to breast feed and despite him sucking and sucking i could see there was nothing there. About half an hour later i offered him a bottle of formula and he drank about 150mls in about 10 seconds because he seemed so thirsty! I have been trying to give him water in a beaker after meals but he doesn't seem bothered and I don't think he is taking much fluid that way. He has also been waking about 5 times per night and I am wondering whether this is because he is thirsty, despite me trying to feed him?

Is this it? Any ideas / advice? I am keen to keep it going if I can, but is it too late now?

Fibe Tue 01-Mar-05 19:43:48

No question is a silly question.

Can you squeeze milk out with your fingers? I know it sounds odd, but that's how I knew, but I am not sure if this is the same for everybody.

I was also told by the health vistor that after about 6 months, the feeling of "fullness" disappears, and breast milk is made "on demand" rather than stored.

As for getting my DS to drink water from a beaker, it took me until 9 months of age (and seven different types of beakers) for him to get the idea! Does your beaker have a very soft spout without a valve? I found that type helped him as the sort with valves were just too much like hard work.

Oh, in the end, until he took a beaker, I gave him water in a normal milk bottle with teat - perhaps you could try that when he wakes up in the middle of the night.

Good luck!

tiktok Tue 01-Mar-05 19:53:14

HM, I am prepared to be a lotta money you have not dried up

He is still bf quite reasonably.

The feelings of fullness in the breasts go, any time after about three months and sometimes before. As Fibe says, the body doesn't 'store' the excess in the way it used to, and in addition to this, much of the fat in the breasts has gone (it comes back when you stop bf for good).

If you keep up giving him to opportunity to bf, he will do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now