Talk

Advanced search

Help! My breastfed baby won't take formula

(17 Posts)
needahand Thu 02-Oct-08 17:42:07

I am going back to work next month and thought I would start to drop a few feed slowly and introduce formula gently. The only problem is that my baby just won't have it.

The problem is not linked to taking a bottle as he will take it if there is EBM in it, but when it is formula he pushed it with his tongue and if by chance a little bit of formula goes in his mouth he spits it.

He is 16 weeks now. Does anyone have a similar experience or any ideas or suggestions?

LadySanders Thu 02-Oct-08 17:44:36

apparently hipp organic milk is more acceptable to b/fed babies (try telling that to my ds2 who at 7 months won't drink any milk except mine, from any vessel except my boobs...)

georgimama Thu 02-Oct-08 17:45:51

What formula are you trying?

DS was put onto formula during the day at 9 months when I went back to work, and I continued BF at morning and night (still do). Some formulas are very very sweet, revoltingly so, and a BF baby not used to that may not like it.

Try a different brand? Most brands are available in 7oz pre mixed cartons for about 60p so you can try a few different ones. DS seemed to dislike Aptamil the least so he had that.

bundle Thu 02-Oct-08 17:46:39

who's doing the feeding? if it's you, try to get someone else to do it

needahand Thu 02-Oct-08 18:05:30

Georgimama I have tried Cow and Gate so far. My HV recommended aptamil too so I will try that.

Ladysanders I hope mine will grow out of it, don't want to be chained with a breast pump at my desk.

bundle I had DH try too to avoid DS smelling my milk, didn't work.

TBH I had never heard of a baby refusing formula, I am shocked!

stitch Thu 02-Oct-08 18:09:30

your baby sounds like a smart cookie.
listen to him, and forget about the formula. either express, or, leave it till you do go back to work. at that age, he will probly be starting solids anyways, so will be more amenable to diferent tastes.

stitch Thu 02-Oct-08 18:10:18

both my younger two refused it. until they were well and truly onto solids that is. i then moved them onto normal milk aged 11 months

clarinsgirl Thu 02-Oct-08 18:15:08

I went back to work at 6 months and DS would take Hipp organic if necessary. TBH I fed him in the morning and evening and generally expressed for the day feed. As earlier poster said - HIPP seems quite popular if you need it.

georgimama Thu 02-Oct-08 18:28:54

Awful as it sounds, he will drink it if there is nothing else going when you are at work, although I would try and find one he likes.

He may also have an issue with the teat you are using, my DS wouldn't use Avent, he would take Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature as they are quite flat and breast shaped. About the only sensible thing in the Baby Whisperer is to give BF babies a bottle with a teat as much like their mother's own breast as possible.

chipmonkey Thu 02-Oct-08 18:34:44

needahand, could you express at work to give him EBM rather than formula. If you can't or would rather not, I would start by mixing a little made-up formula to the EBM, (NOT formula powder) Then, if he accepts that gradually increase the amount of formula and reduce the amount of ebm until it's all formula.

wishingmummy Thu 02-Oct-08 21:45:07

'fraid its trial and error, most mums i know just tried loads until babe liked one, same with teats. often babe will take bottle better from s.one other than mum, especially if you ahve been b/feeding. f u can express at work may help make transition better- employer has to allow you to express if thats what u want to do.good luck. this can be a miserable transition for a lot of mums. go easy on yourself. xx

needahand Fri 03-Oct-08 14:40:20

Stitch yes he is a little too clever for my liking. Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to express enough as I have a funny shaped nipple (sorry TMI) and I usually can't get much, unlike my baby who is more efficient than the pump. I have to try and put him on formula slowly though as it would be a bit of a shock next month if he has to get used to me not being here and having formula

We tried aptamil mixed with EBM last night and he drank it, fingers crossed that will carry-on and that at some point he will drink his formula neat!

georgimama I know but it would be quite harsh and I would rather avoid this if possible

chipmonkey why shouldn't I mix formula powder, this is what I did yesterday. Is there a reason I shouldn't?

Thank you all for the advice and support

Chequers Fri 03-Oct-08 14:46:35

<hijack>

Hi Needahand, how is it all going in the new place???

P.S DD takes Hipp as well as breast milk.

needahand Fri 03-Oct-08 15:02:35

High Chequers, I was actually going to call you about now (just finished my lunch). Will see if you are here.

chipmonkey Fri 03-Oct-08 21:03:49

needahand, I probably didn't word that well! I meant that you shouldn't put formula powder straight into breast milk as some of the nutrients would become too concentrated. You should mix the powder with water first and then mix with EBM. Which sounds like what you have done!smile

ConnorTraceptive Fri 03-Oct-08 21:34:34

ds2 was a formula refuser (and bottle refuser even with ebm) we tried every trick in th ebook to no avail. Then some sage MNers told me to chill out and that it would happen eventually. One wise poster said jst make a bottle and let them hold it, do what they want with it and see how you get on, no pressure. Well bugger me I did this with ds2 after THREE MONTHS of trying everything and the little sod drank it!!

I know your ds is only 16 weeks so a little small to hold a bottle but worth I try.

DS2 is still breast fed too and is happy to switch between bf or formula. We use HIPP also.

I know it's hard to not get stressed by it I thought it was never going to happen with ds!

Now if I can get the little sod to sleep through the night I'm laughin' grin

needahand Mon 06-Oct-08 14:31:35

thanks chipmonkey ! I thougt perhaps yoy weren't supposed to mix the two!

Thanks connorTraceptive I will bear that in mind and might let him have a play with it. No tips for sleeping through the nigh, it ain't happening here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now