Talk

Advanced search

Wont take a bottle..HELP!!!!!!!

(10 Posts)
Shell150 Tue 01-Mar-05 16:01:07

Hi im new here and after ready a few post on bottle vs breast am scared to ask this Q incase i get shot down for bottle feedin but anyways,

my eight month old is bottle fed and always has bn since starting her on soilds she refuses all of her bottles!!

Have spoke to H.V and she just said she thinks i am under the thumb!!! Great help their!!

I give her a 7oz bottle in the morning which she only takes 4 oz of it then goes into a screaming fit if i try giving her anymore!!! which results in her having normal breakfast try her with one along side her lunch but yet again another screaming fit until she gets fed her lunch. Then theirs her bed time one and well what can i say she will take 2 oz if that and that is her i dont want to start giving her food at that time of night etc, i know she should still b taking milk and its important for her but what can i do? i have tried changing her milk putting it in diffrent bottles/cups but still no diffrent?? Any help/suggestion?

nnosam Tue 01-Mar-05 16:10:38

what sort of bottle is it? i.e. wide avent of slim line one.

nnosam Tue 01-Mar-05 16:11:15

she may want to have it in a cup/beaker...

Shell150 Tue 01-Mar-05 16:18:49

Avent ones wide ones have tried her with a cup and beaker but i think she associates these with her water/juice as thats what she gets them in during the day and just throws it away. She was never this bad until she started feeding herself now she thinks its fun to "pop" the teat :| if i try give her it she throws a temper tantrum :| oh the joys lol

mrsflowerpot Tue 01-Mar-05 16:21:57

How much is she actually taking in a day, total (do you manage to get any into her at all other than morning and evening? And is she eating yoghurts/milky puddings and sauces/cheesy things etc, which would up her intake?

We noticed with ds that he was better if the flow was faster, so we put bigger holes in the teats for a while and actually used those Avent toddler cups with the green spout but took the non-spill valve out, that worked a treat.

nnosam Tue 01-Mar-05 16:22:00

my ds did this (now 2+) when he was about 8-9mths
what you need to do is take a step back, leave her to it, is she happy to feed herslef with her bottle?
if so, give it to her and sit her on sofa/chair and you sit out of her view.
how does she fall asleep?

Shell150 Tue 01-Mar-05 16:34:42

Hi just milk she is taking bout 10oz a day but she gets it on weetabix in morning and loves yoghurts so when u add all that up. She doesn't like cheese???? So i don't know if it could be something along those lines but then she likes yoghurt??? Have tried her taking the no spill bit out avent cups worked a treat for 2 days until she noticed if she tiped it up it all came out over the top of her and found this V funny!!! i do leave her 2 it most times until its all over the floor, She falls asleep on her own with her blanket

she may only b 8 months but is V.V.V independent and doesnt like help or cuddled 2 sleep

sometimes i feel like im just fighting a losing battle with her

nnosam Tue 01-Mar-05 16:53:03

at bedtime, if you tried giving her, her bottle sat on the sofa/chair next to you but in a quite room. am working on the idea that if shes not in her bed when having bedtime bottle she might drink more then 2oz. my ds still fall sleep with him bottle but now he manages to drink 90% of if frist.
other then that dont know what to suggest.
good luck, just remember that aslong as shes getting over a pint of fuilds and lost of dairy stuff she will be fine, and most inportantly dont get upset and worried as she will pick up on it and it will make everthing worse. i know easy said then done...

HappyMumof2 Tue 01-Mar-05 16:59:12

Message withdrawn

Shell150 Sat 05-Mar-05 12:01:20

Thanks every1 on wed night after her bath i lay her on the bed proped up with pillows and left her 2 it DP was in the room but under strict rules not 2 give her attention, i get busy tidying up and to my suprise she finished the lot!! And was looking for more have kept this up and it seems to b working have also started adding more milk to her dinners so she is now getting what she is meant to b getting thanks again for all the help (A very happy mummy )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now