Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

Yes, I am STILL breastfeeding!!!!

(8 Posts)
broguemum Thu 02-Oct-08 08:34:41

I am feeling needy and would like a bit of support <smiles weakly>.

I was at the physio yesterday and they said, "But why are you still breastfeeding when your baby is ten months old? That's a long time isn't it!" as if I was some sort of freak - grr grr grr!!! And I was pathetic. Instead of spouting off all the stuff I know about the global average age of weaning, WHO guidelines etc etc, I just said, "Well, there are a lot of allergies in the family and this is one way to reduce the risks...." Grr grr.

I am cross with self and physio too. I am pretty discreet about bf and wouldn't have told her apart from the fact that she needs to know.

Please tell me I'm NOT a freak and that what I am doing is right for me and my child?

Thank you.

PuzzleRocks Thu 02-Oct-08 08:36:57

What an idiot. Give me 5 minutes with her. I'm still feeding my 17 month old and have no intention of stopping anytime soon.
You are doing an amazing job. Well done!

belgo Thu 02-Oct-08 08:37:44

You're not a freak! Well if you are, I'm even more of a freak wink Maybe they were just genuinely curious as to why you were still breastfeeding?

Your answer was a good answer, but I personally would just say 'because I find bfing easy and convenient and my dd is happy to continue'.

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Oct-08 08:38:30

I'm still feeding gecko
she is 20 months

you are doing great smile

broguemum Thu 02-Oct-08 08:42:22

Thank you! It just p*sses me off that people want to comment on my feeding choices... And I live in a country where bf is totally the norm and I have never come across this sort of this before so I was kind of thrown off my stride a bit. Oh, actually I tell a lie, I had a negative comment from my doctor (!) who said that it was 'irritating' that I was still breastfeeding as he couldn't prescribe anti-inflammatories.

Belgo - that is a good one - will have to remember that for next time.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 02-Oct-08 08:42:41

What you are doing is definitely right for you and your child.

I am still feeding 2.8yr old dd, and am not a freak. Well, only a bit of one wink.

FeelingLucky Thu 02-Oct-08 08:50:41

I have had similar experiences. When DD was about 12 months old I ate some peanuts and DD came out in rash after I breastfed her. Told DD's nursery manager about it and that I would try again with the peanuts and breastfeeding when DD was 18 months old, to which nursery manager replied in shock: "will you still be breastfeeding then?!?"
Can't remember what I replied but I should have said what I now tell everyone: "the WHO recommend breastfeeding to 2 years."

DD's now 16 months and I'm going to let her self-wean smile

broguemum Thu 02-Oct-08 10:55:27

Thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: