Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slow let down problem part way through feed - what can I do?

(3 Posts)
VeryHungryKatypillar Wed 01-Oct-08 12:36:34

Have been exclusively BFding DD for 24 weeks and a new habit has recently emerged. After filling her boots for a few minutes she will stop and I then wind her. When I go to put her back on (the times when she doesn't find something more interesting to look at/do) she will suck for a few seconds and then fuss or cry and pull off. She is definitely still hungry as she will go back to suck again, but comes off quickly, again looking frustrated.

I know there is definitely plenty more milk in there because of the way my boobs feel, and if I can get her to suck for longer and persist, she will eventually stimulate another let down and I can hear it gulping in.

But quite often she gets so worked up that she won't get to that stage. I think she's impatient for the let down and gets so frustrated that she won't go back on that breast.

Anyone got experience of this? Any ideas on how to get a quicker let down the second time??

mmelody Wed 01-Oct-08 20:37:05

i read somewhere that eating ginger can stimulate the let down reflex. Good excuse to get the biccies out! smile
I try visualising running water which sometimes works.. Good luck.

VeryHungryKatypillar Thu 02-Oct-08 12:38:03

Thanks mmelody, have just been to Sainsburys to get me some ginger biscuits! You don't have to tell me twice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now