Advanced search

Dental anaesthetic & Breastfeeding after.....

(13 Posts)
whitechocchip Wed 01-Oct-08 11:01:08

I'm really sorry if this has been done before but am getting a bit nervous I have an appointment booked to have my tooth removed in November, but having spoken to the clinic this morning I have been told that I wont be able to breastfeed for a couple of days shock

Is this true and also will my milk dry up in the mean time?

I'm also a bit worried that my darling DD will a) go hungry & daddy will get stressed.
b) if she starts taking a bottle she won't 'want' boob again sad

So will this be the end of my BF? I know that it has to finish at some point but really dont want this to be the end for me as she's only 7months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

babypringle Wed 01-Oct-08 11:09:49

don't know the answer but watching this with interest - I'm pregnant and was supposed to have my wisdom tooth removed under general last month but had to cancel due to pregnancy. So have to work out the 'best' time to have it done. BF my DS for 15months last time but I know I can't wait that long for the op. I've been offered the option of sedation and a local to have the tooth removed whilst pregnant - would this be an option for you cos I guess this would have less of an effect on BF??

figgis1 Wed 01-Oct-08 11:42:26

is it local or general youre having?
i had to have a crown and few fillings when dd was 1-2months, dentist said it was safe to bf after local which i did. she was bit sicky on one of the occasions but not the others so think it was prob just co incidence.

frisbyrat Wed 01-Oct-08 11:47:12

I have had a local a couple of times. The dentist told me it was fine. It was.

Maybe you can ask them for the precise name of the anaesthetic they will be using, and then do your own research on kellymom or similar?

I had to have a tooth out under local anesthetic when dd was 3 months, dentist said it would not affect bfing in any way.

A general anesthetic can't possibly affect bfing what about people who have to have them for emergency c/s etc?

sexyrella Wed 01-Oct-08 11:56:09

i express every day so my baby has a bottle every evening and so will take abottle and do the breast, so what id do is swtart givin a bottle a day so she will do both and then pump and dump at your regular feed times for the 48hours so your milk doesnt dry up. And try and get a bit of a stash of breast milk in the freezer so she doesnt haVE to have all formula while you cant feed her. hope thus helps.

tiktok Wed 01-Oct-08 11:58:02

Not able to breastfeed for *2 days*???? That is utterly ridiculous and the surgery that told you this needs to be put right.

If you are conscious, the anaesthetic has worn off and is no longer in your bloodstream. And if it is no longer in your bloodstream it is no longer in your milk....and you are not going to out cold for two days, are you?! is a link to a referenced factsheet on dental treatment and bf - please share it with your dentist!!

missbumpy Wed 01-Oct-08 12:06:49

I had a filling while pg and had anaesthetic and it was fine. Also had local anaesthetic twice at GP while BFing and no one suggested it would affect BF so I carried on as normal.

missbumpy Wed 01-Oct-08 12:07:50

PS. I'm no doctor but I thought the point of local anaesthetic is that it's doesn't numb the whole body therefore surely there isn't loads of it pumping round your bloodstream and getting into your milk supply. I could be wrong though!

tiktok Wed 01-Oct-08 12:14:02

missbumpy, you are right. If the anaesthetic was general it might reach the milk (though some don't - the molecules are too large to cross the blood-milk barrier). And even then, it might not go from the milk to the baby's system (gastric juices destroy it). And even then, the effects are time limited (and don't last 2 days, FGS!). And even then, so what - the baby might be slightly sedated (which he won't be, because the anaesthetic is not in the milk).

A local anaesthetic does not go anywhere near the milk.

That's why is's called 'local'.

to dentists who ignorantly scare mothers like this.

whitechocchip Wed 01-Oct-08 20:15:45

Hi ya sorry have only just been able to get on. Thanks for all the answers.

When speaking to them this morning about sedation I was told by a rather jokey 'man' that it would make baby sleep alot longer hmm (no surely not!) But also that I would need to express for a couple of days worth.

I am really hoping that isn't the case and will def ring them tomorrow so that I can do my own research on it, and I'll read the link posted.

Otherwise I'll be waiting until near the year mark to have them removed grin

Janus Wed 01-Oct-08 22:44:29

Oh crap!!
My dd1 was emergency c-section under ga, I breastfed her less than an hour later.
Also, 2 weeks ago I had to have surgery under ga and I am exclusively bf dd3 (4 months old). To be on the safe side I pumped off enough for one day, not knowing how long I'd be in hospital, etc. I was out by 1pm but seeing as I'd worked so hard to get it out dp gave her the bottles! Actually I felt very knackered and it was a godsend to have him look after her when I came home so I would recommend this for you anyway. I then expressed about 3 oz from each boobie when I got home and dumped but I think I was being extra cautious.
Out of interest I asked the nurses etc when I went for pre-assessment and again on the day and none had a clue so I just used my common sense that if I did it after my c-section (as do loads of women) then it must be OK as the midwives put her on my breast and they should know!

TheNinkynork Wed 01-Oct-08 23:03:42

I fed DS 5 hours after my dental GA. He was fine. Had a great time with Daddy and didn't even come straight to feed when I returned. I thought he'd be really upset or my boobs might explode but they weren't even uncomfortable. He was about 8 months IIRC.

Don't put it off - it is a lovely rest for you too especially if you have a constantly feeding DC. I ws the happiest patient in the whole hospital that afternoon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now