Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BF and prolonged SPD after child born ... any link?

(11 Posts)
crochetdiva Tue 30-Sep-08 19:42:51

I suffered with horrendous SPD when pg with DD (1 tomorrow), and it's never really cleared up.

I've been for a first physio appointment today, and the physio I saw has told me that I'm going to have to stop BF as it's probably contributing to the problems I'm having with my pelvis.

I seem to remember that I've read somewhere that that's not true ... am I making this up because I don't want to stop BF, or am I right and physio is talking rubbish?

popsycal Tue 30-Sep-08 19:43:55

it can prolong due to hormonres but i eally dont see why she insists you stop

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Sep-08 19:46:31

Yeah, hormones make your ligaments more pliable, but this also means that physio treatment should be more effective, yo ujust might need to have it for a longer period of time.
You do NOT need to stop bf if you are happy doing it.

manamana Tue 30-Sep-08 20:06:14

I suffered very badly from SPD with ds2. Decided to breastfeed until he was 5mo old as no-one seemed able to tell me it definitely would get better if I gave up. However, a while after I stopped I started feeling much better - can't remember exactly how long, sorry. I definitely think it was a factor BUT I am still not 100% recovered so its not a miracle cure and you have to weigh up improvement against increased work bottle feeding (making up bottles, packing stuff to take out etc, pretty minimal at 1yo I would guess) plus benefits of bfeeding.

LaVie Tue 30-Sep-08 20:08:22

HTH

LaVie Tue 30-Sep-08 20:10:04

I bf for about 3 months but my spd seemed to disappear as soon as ds popped out. I don't think your physio is correct.

nickytwotimes Tue 30-Sep-08 20:10:46

The hormones hang around for at least 9 mths post-partum anyway, whether you feed ornot.

smallone Tue 30-Sep-08 20:16:32

The relaxin produced while you're pg continues while you're BFing. Although I can't imagine you're BFing anywhere near as much as you were 1 year ago so can you see any improvement? It would make sense that as BFing tapers off, so do the hormones.

The other problem you have is an ever increasing weight to lug around, something you can't do much about I'm afraid.

crochetdiva Tue 30-Sep-08 20:30:03

Thanks for your input on this - shall print out the link and pass it to the physio.

Stupidly, the spd seemed to clear up miraculously straight after dd was born, but as I became more active, and wanted to start getting back to my mreviosuly normal level of exercise (swimming, cycling etc.), it got worse.

And you're right, I'm not bf as much as I was when dd was first born - I'm back at work FT so DD just has bf morning and night now.

Olessaty Wed 01-Oct-08 17:12:39

I'll watch out for this at my first physio appointment. Can't believe they tell you to give up breastfeeding!

Cocodrillo Sat 11-Oct-08 21:45:39

I am just a sample of one person, I know, but my SPD cleared up IMMEDIATELY I stopped bfing DD2 when she was around 3.5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now