Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HV said today that the WHO recommends giving vit drops to BF babies from 6 mths - can't find the link on the website, does anyone know?

(21 Posts)
loucee Tue 30-Sep-08 18:29:10

The title says it all really, DS is 9mths and I took him to get him weighed and advice on his night wakings and she told me that the WHO recommends giving vitamin drops to all breastfed babies from 6 months of age.

I've looked on the WHO website but can't find anything so I wondered if anyone had a link handy?

Thanks

AnarchyAunt Tue 30-Sep-08 18:32:23

Um.

I will look for a link. But my opinion is that it is not necessary.

AccidentalMum Tue 30-Sep-08 20:45:22

My GP and HV say this too hmm

chilledmama Tue 30-Sep-08 20:57:51

have a look here www.who.int/nutrition/publications/gs_infant_feeding_text_eng.pdf

What it ac tually says is that beyond 6 months, babies should not be 'exclusively' BF. They should have a nutricionally balanced diet!

cmotdibbler Tue 30-Sep-08 20:58:00

Actually the WHO say that if the local diet is deficient in certain vits and minerals, then it should be considered - here

If you don't get out in the daylight much, cover up fully when out, or live in the far north, then there is evidence that a vitamin D supplement is a good thing

chilledmama Tue 30-Sep-08 20:58:35

Should have also written...bloody NHS...they twist things so badly!

MrsBates Tue 30-Sep-08 21:10:22

I was told this by HV too but took no notice since my children eat very well, have wide ranging adventurous tastes and have a healthy and balanced diet. And are blooming with health. Jamie Oliver is on now with his line up of pot noodle mums to convert - WHO is targeting children who for whatever reason are not getting a decent diet and need extra boost. Some in this country and many around the world with less access to varied diet and plentiful food. Use common sense to decide if you are giving your children a good diet and judge their health by how well they eat it and their resilience to illness/recovery etc.

Caz10 Tue 30-Sep-08 21:12:11

hijack! (waves to loucee!!)

What did she say re night wakings, just out of interest? I am still feeding a lot at night but was thinking it was more related to me being away from her during the day.

Hope you and your LOs are well!

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 30-Sep-08 21:15:36

Message withdrawn

Caz10 Tue 30-Sep-08 21:21:17

My worry is - I am offering dd a good and varied diet - she can in reality eat very little!! What then??

MrsBates Tue 30-Sep-08 21:25:23

I think children eat what they need. They don't starve themselves so if your DD is healthy and lively her diet is fine, even if her appetite is small. Sparkly eyes, energy, clear skin...all signs she is getting what she needs. If she is often ill, a bit listless etc get her checked but no need to give vitamins without an obvious problem in her health. IMO.

chilledmama Tue 30-Sep-08 21:33:44

A friend of mine and a fellow MNetter and BF BLW mum gave her DD1 vitamin drops because she wouldn't eat anything except plain pasta for a period...rsult being that her health suffered. Mum recognised this so supplemented while she was having the problem.
Every LO has issues from time to time which can make you doubt yourself...but as MB has said above...there are some obvious signs of malnutrician and none of them are the HV making bold statements without substance!!!

cockles Tue 30-Sep-08 21:36:50

Load of cobblers. I agree with MrsBates. My child ate pretty minimally apart from breastmilk at this age and I would not add vitamin drops.
The iron supplement advice is based, I think, on a misunderstanding of the way breastmilk works - it does not suddenly run out of iron at 6 months, nor does your child suddenly need more iron at that stage, & there's also evidence that the iron that is provided from breastmilk is better stored than eg vitamin supplements.

jetskier Tue 30-Sep-08 21:51:53

UK guidelines are on the Healthy Start website. Seems that vitamins advised for all - no convincing evidence cited though - and some children may need them more than others, .

moondog Tue 30-Sep-08 21:56:20

The idea that any well fed British kid needs vitamins is frnakly astounding to me.
Partic. as have spent the summer in Bangladesh and seen tonnes of fine healthy looking kids who basically live on rice, lentils, scraps of meat and veggies.

chilledmama Tue 30-Sep-08 21:59:39

argh...so frustrating!!

mybabywakesupsinging Wed 01-Oct-08 01:14:11

and I tried to give ds1 vitamin drops, feeling I "ought" to. He spat out 4 different brands. Needless to say ds2 got none offered!

loucee Wed 01-Oct-08 15:25:46

sorry for not getting back sooner

I did find the HV a bit bizarre actually and am thinking of writing to complain about her. I didn't give my DD vit drops but wondered if it was new advice from WHO.

I saw a friend this morning who had spoken to save HV yesterday and had been told to give her baby formula as she obviously doesn't have enough milk (baby is 15wks and IMO going through a growth spurt)

Caz - hello!! well to be honest this HV told me I wasn't feeding DS enough potatoes and erm oh yes I was to give him syrup sponge pudding with custard. She was no help at all basically.

tiktok Wed 01-Oct-08 15:30:29

It's DH policy (not WHO) for all bf babies to have vit drops, mainly for Vit D, which we get from sunlight and which some babies may not get enough of...mostly a lifestyle issue, or an issue with Asian or black babies who actually need more sun than we may get, especially in northern parts of the UK. Taking the baby outside for a bit on most days will address the gap, though, whatever the ethnicity.

Formula already has the Vit D supplements added in, so no need for drops.

Not a big deal, IMO - in breastfeeding heaven Norway, where everyone breastfeeds, everyone also has cod liver oil, from birth, as a Vit D supplement. No one thinks this means breastmilk is deficient, but they do suspect their climate is

stealthsquiggle Wed 01-Oct-08 15:42:12

I wondered about this - I saw something the other day (in RL, not on MN) which implied that everyone gave their DCs vit drops and since it had never occurred to me to give them to either of mine I started to wonder if I was strange...

loucee Wed 01-Oct-08 21:38:12

Thanks for clearing that up TT, and thanks Jetskier for the link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now