Talk

Advanced search

disposable breast pads v's washable?

(23 Posts)
mad4mybaby Tue 30-Sep-08 18:09:33

With ds1 i used johnsons ones and found them fine, did go through alot and obv washable ones are re usable but what are they like? Are they any bigger? Are they as comfy? Also has anyone used tesco own pads? Wondering what they are like?

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:16:10

tried both and would definately use washable 1's. Cheaper in long run and more comfy but need to change more often. Boots 1's are good. Think I had about 6 pairs so wasn't always desperately washing and always carry a spare pair

Upwind Tue 30-Sep-08 18:19:40

where do you get washable ones?

LaTrucha Tue 30-Sep-08 18:23:29

washable. can't tell you where from. my council gave them to me. hmm

mysticsuprise Tue 30-Sep-08 18:23:37

ebay have quite a good selection

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:23:43

boots or mothercare. i used boots. handy to take disposables if out or foodbag to put wet ones in if need to change them

mysticsuprise Tue 30-Sep-08 18:24:02

unused ones I hasten to add grin

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:25:15

boots or mothercare. i used boots. handy to take disposables if out or foodbag to put wet ones in if need to change them

Imo Lasinoh (sp) make by far and away the best breast pads both disposable and washable.

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:26:32

sorry to post twice. need to start a new thread on slow connections and dodgy computers!

Lansinoh

cyteen Tue 30-Sep-08 18:27:54

i'm using boots and avent washables, but so far neither has stopped me from leaking straight through them hmm

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:29:28

dunno about breast pads but lansinoh (sp) nipple cream saved my life when bf my ds

fishnet Tue 30-Sep-08 18:32:33

washable are a million times better. I used disposables at first but was going through loads. They are handy when you're out and about but the wahsable ones are far far better - just make suer you put them in the bag when washing them. I couldn't understand why I never had many and then the washing machine started to leak because they were all mangled and trapped in the filter.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 30-Sep-08 18:34:11

I tried loads of different types with my DD, as I had an oversupply of milk and leaked for months.

The best by far were Lansinoh washables, this time around I bought 3 for the price of 2 packs from the NCT website here

mad4mybaby Tue 30-Sep-08 18:39:09

i think i went through about 4 pairs a day of washable with ds1 and i too leaked for MONTHS AND MONTHS after. Never 'leaked' through the johnsons pads... have just bought some for hosp bag and they feel quite thick, in a nice padded sort of way... ARe washable thinner? How often do you think you'd change washable a day?

mumnosbest Tue 30-Sep-08 18:43:31

washable don't hold as much. at beginning went through about 3 a day. i used to wear 2 together at night and at work in case i couldn't change in time. i was lucky as there were 4 of us at work with leaky boobsso we just used to fold our arms and laugh at eachother

VeryHungryKatypillar Wed 01-Oct-08 12:25:38

I used washables to start off with, but in the early days when I had oversupply (and mega let down in the boob I wasn't feeding from) I found that not even two put together would keep my t-shirt dry. So I went on to used Johnsons disposables which are great, just a bit expensive.

Now I can get away with washables as the supply has calmed down (at nearly 6 months) but still use disposables at night as have a new mattress which I don't want to leak over!!

ilovemyflipflops Thu 02-Oct-08 07:57:12

I use Lansinoh mainly because they are thin and bigger than the average breastpad. If i can't get them i use johnsons which are always my second choice as they are soft. The only thing about Johnsons and washables i've found is if you wear something tight fitting you can end up sporting the 'i look like i'm smuggling a couple of crumpets in my bra look' which is never a good thing

TettyLouBar Thu 02-Oct-08 11:54:03

I hear ya flipflops, crumpet smuggling aint a catwalk look.
I have tried a plethora of disposable ones and Lansinoh are BY FAR the best ones.
I have also got Avent washable ones, which are ok for around the house and night time use, but when out and about, wearing a nice top, Lansinoh all the way gringrin

VeryHungryKatypillar Thu 02-Oct-08 12:29:33

OOh, I might go all posh then and get me some Lansinoh!

Mind you, now the weather has taken a chilly turn, no one would know if I was muffin smuggling let alone crumpets...

ilovemyflipflops Thu 02-Oct-08 12:48:33

Another word of warning, never buy cheap disposable breastpads. Why i hear you ask they all do the same job, well i'll cover all the embarrassing moments you can have with breastpads so you don't have to go through them yourself... they have no sticky bit to attach to your bra and therefore have a tendancy to escape, for some reason especially whilst in public... Also for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to make them from some relation of tracing paper instead of something nipple friendly. I have a theory mostly men design breastpads.

charleymouse Thu 02-Oct-08 13:00:59

Also don't wear the Lansinoh disposable ones in the swimming pool as you come out looking like Pamela Anderson. grin It showed me quite how much they can absorb though.

Lansinon washables are not shaped like my saggy old norks, I found Philips Avent washables the best and quite pretty as well and Lansinoh disposable the best. Deffo get the Lansinoh cream as well.

Be prepared to try a few as they may not suit your shape/size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now