Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Will a recession contribute in any way to an increase in breastfeeding in the UK?

(13 Posts)
AbricotsSecs Tue 30-Sep-08 17:42:56

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Tue 30-Sep-08 17:44:55

I am so sick of hearing about this fecking recession and it's not even been officially announced yet - quarter ends today, though.

No, no I don't think it will contribute in any way to an increase in BFing.

I'm bfing because we live in the middle of nowhere, shops all shut at 5.30 except the Co-op, which is miles away, shuts at 10 and we have only one car.

Can't be arsed to faff with keeping on top of formula supplies.

Nowt to do with money and more to do with laziness.

tiktok Tue 30-Sep-08 17:45:53

Hoochie - great question, and the answer is 'no, not in the slightest' ....IMO.

People make feeding decisions, or are forced into them, outside the economic and personal financial arena.

NorthernLurker Tue 30-Sep-08 17:46:23

I suspect that if economic necessity compels women to return to work earlier in their child's life than they might otherwise have done then breastfeeding rates could drop because women might think that combining work and breastfeeding was impossible. It isn't.

DeJaVous Tue 30-Sep-08 17:47:54

I'd love to think it would but I seriously doubt itsad

whomovedmychocolate Tue 30-Sep-08 17:52:05

I also think on the contrary it will cause a decrease because more women will have to go back to work and expressing is really hard work

AbricotsSecs Tue 30-Sep-08 19:27:16

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Tue 30-Sep-08 19:33:35

Message withdrawn

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 30-Sep-08 21:36:40

Birth rates are already going up cos people can't afford to go out as much so make their own 'entertainment'. This will mean crowded hospitals and midwives not being able to spend so much time instructing and supporting breasteeding, so rates could go down. sad

If mothers make their feeding choice purely for financial reasons (unlikely imo), then surely the extra 600(?) calories needed when breastfeeding would cost roughly the same as a day's formula?!!

jammi Tue 30-Sep-08 22:23:09

Message withdrawn

princessglitter Tue 30-Sep-08 22:26:20

Breastfeeding rates are lower in the lowest socio-economic groups, so it is doubtful.

theSuburbanDryad Tue 30-Sep-08 22:36:40

It's a very interesting question, but IMO the variables are too wide to proved you with a satisfactory answer.

However, trying to look at it positively, some people may persevere with bf-ing for longer because they don't want the hassles/expense of bf-ing, but IME they tend to be the type of people who wanted to bf anyway.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I know that all of the women I know who have had babies recently have at least tried to bf. Those who were successful initially weaned at between 6 and 8 months when they went back to work, a couple thought their milk never came in (due to crappy advice) and a few never got advice of positioning and latch and so ended up with sore nipples and had to turn to a bottle for that reason. Certainly from an economics POV - from the little I know about economics - there seems to be less money in the public purse, as quite a lot of taxpayer's money is going towards nationalising banks etc, so the hospitals and maternity units will be less funded (and potentially more crowded, as someone pointed out!) so the one thing that could really make a difference in bf-ing rates - appropriate support - probably won't happen.

Not much of a glimmer of hope after all, really...sorry.

TheBlonde Tue 30-Sep-08 22:40:18

I think they might reduce, as others have said, mothers going back to work sooner and reduced healthcare spending

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now