Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice on b/f baby with teeth

(3 Posts)
leighsand Mon 28-Feb-05 19:42:33

Hi

My ds1 cut his first tooth at 20 weeks. He was on bottles by then as I had really cracked nipples so it wasn't a problem.

Ds2 is now almost 18 weeks and is already showing signs that he may also be an early teether. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid getting chewed nipples whilst breastfeeding babies with teeth? I had really sore nipples for the first 6 weeks and really couldn't bear to go back to that again. Any advice appreciated.

MissGalway Mon 28-Feb-05 19:43:36

they say that they can't suck and chew at the same time. I had a baby with teeth and I just made sure to not let him keep latched on for a comfort suck.

mears Mon 28-Feb-05 19:44:49

Teeth shouldn't be a problem because initially it is bottom teeth that come through first and they are covered by the tongue during feeding. Sometimes B/F babies can bite (mine did) but when that happens you just stop the feed. They very quickly learn not to do it. Otherwise, teeth do not cause nipple trauma.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now