Talk

Advanced search

my left breast has gone red

(13 Posts)
LadyBee Mon 29-Sep-08 12:21:32

Fed this morning at about 2 on right-side only as he fell back asleep. Woke up feeling a bit engorged but he fed well from both sides at about 7, have just finished another big feed, looked down and saw that my left-side is red, like it's been slapped, have looked closer and it looks like lots of fine blood vessels have broken or just more visible. There aren't any lumps that I can find, and it's not painful but sort of hot and a bit itchy feeling. Anyone had anything similar? Know what it could be or if a problem? Am heading out the door but would appreciate feedback and will check back in later.

Not sure if relevant but DS is 5.5mo and excl. BF

pgwithnumber3 Mon 29-Sep-08 12:24:26

Sounds like you have mastitis. When I had it, I took paracetamol, fed through it and just waited for it to relieve but some people may advise you to go to the GP as you may need antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon.

LadyBee Mon 29-Sep-08 20:05:57

oh..ok, guess I've done ok to get this far without having had it. I've got a GP appt for tomorrow anyway so I guess I'll just have to squeeze in a second query...unless it clears over night. DS is still feeding happily from that side so maybe. Still doesn't hurt though grin

pgwithnumber3 Mon 29-Sep-08 20:59:08

It may just be an engorged breast but definitely ask the GP tomorrow. Hope all is okay for you and it doesn't worsen.

callmeovercautious Mon 29-Sep-08 21:02:24

I would expect more pain from mastitis. Is it still engorged or does it feel completely normal?

Could just be a reaction to something on your skin. My Breasts were very sensitive to all sorts of soaps etc when DD was still feeding regularly.

Salleroo Mon 29-Sep-08 21:11:27

Make sure you empty it at every feed and if you feel there is some left - pump it out. Mastitis is horrible and very sore - had it 4 times sad

Salleroo Mon 29-Sep-08 21:11:35

Make sure you empty it at every feed and if you feel there is some left - pump it out. Mastitis is horrible and very sore - had it 4 times sad

pgwithnumber3 Mon 29-Sep-08 21:19:10

I had mastitis a couple of times with both of mine callmeovercautious and the first time I never knew I had it, it was just red but because I left it, it went awful and I ended up quite poorly with it.

callmeovercautious Mon 29-Sep-08 23:07:02

really pgwithnumber3? I always expect it to be painful as so many people say it is. I have bf DD for over 2 years and I am lucky enough not to have had it. I do have a lot of friends who suffered. Perhaps the OP is in the early stages?

Go to that GP appointment and get it checked smile Hope it is OK.

pgwithnumber3 Wed 01-Oct-08 09:25:33

It depends on the severity of it callme, it usually starts with redness in the breast and depending on how bad it is, results in pain and fever like symptoms. A couple of times though I just got a red breast and fed like mad with that breast.

LadyBee, how are you today, what did the GP say?

aurorec Wed 01-Oct-08 13:10:20

I had mastitis three times, in all cases my breast felt engorged and went red, but wasn't all that painful- just uncomfortable. It felt like engorgement that even vigorous nursing couldn't relieve.
I got a very high temperature though- but with antibiotics it cleared within 48 hours.

LadyBee Fri 03-Oct-08 20:15:20

hullo hullo! Sorry, got very busy with sudden decision to visit NZ etc etc. Breast is fine, GP said he thought it could have been start of mastitis but wasn't sure and didn't give me antibiotics because there was no pain or lumps that he could find either. I was pretty careful to get DS feeding well and it seems to have done the trick - he's doing that thing of thinking he's finished after the initial thirst is quenched and sometimes I believe him. But if I'm patient he usually takes a full feed eventually. Thanks for all the suggestions smile

callmeovercautious Sat 04-Oct-08 21:45:09

Glad you are feeling better smile And thanks for the info pg and aurorec. I am still feeding 2 yr DD and she is self weaning so I am keeping an eye out for mastitis as she weans. I will remember there is not necessarily pain!

Oh and envy at trip to NZ grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now