Talk

Advanced search

Where to donate special Baby Formula?

(6 Posts)
Jenmah Sun 28-Sep-08 13:06:32

My son was prescribed Elecare amino acid formula for his allergy to dairy & soy protein during his first year of life. I have 30 cartons of this very expensive formula that I'd like to donate to a family in need or charity. Any ideas?
Thanks

islandofsodor Sun 28-Sep-08 13:19:12

If it is a presription formula then presumably it would be free to any families in need and the only cost is to the NHS.

You can't donate formula for very complicated reasons, so perhaps you should return it to your local pharmacy.

Jenmah Sun 28-Sep-08 13:31:44

What about outside the UK?

islandofsodor Sun 28-Sep-08 13:35:45

No reposnsible charity will take formula because they have to be able to guarantee that they can maintain a supply for the baby for the entire year. Because of this charities use generic formula given out via health professionals under supervision only when they are 100% certain the mother/carer has sterilisation facilites etc or it could prove fatal.

In mosrt cases if breastfeeding is not possible or the child is orphaned they prefer to go down the wet nurse option.

It's all very complicated and it operates on a triage type system.

littleducks Sun 28-Sep-08 13:36:17

I have seen similar milks offered on freecycle, not sure if taken or not

Jenmah Sun 28-Sep-08 13:40:08

Thanks. You seem very informed on this topic. Can't believe it is so complicated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now