Talk

Advanced search

Experienced Mums needed!

(15 Posts)
bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 20:03:14

My son is almost 11 months. Not a big milk drinker but will drink all his morning milk.

He drinks milk from a bottle, water from a Tommee Tippee cup although not much actually goes down but he is getting the idea!

I have offered him milk from the same cup as the water but he looks at me like I'm mad and gives up!

How vital is it to move on to a cup now? I'm worried about his teeth but he only really drinks about 11oz a day if we are lucky so I don't want to lose this. He has lots of cheese, yoghart etc.

Any thoughts?

HaventSleptForAYear Sat 27-Sep-08 20:05:32

I don't think it's 'vital' at all.

It's an English thing, have to get them off the bottle by age 1.

Over here (France) most kids have a bottle til they are at least 3.

WriggleJiggle Sat 27-Sep-08 20:05:43

My lo is 11 months, and I have no great desire to rush her onto a proper cup yet. When she is a bit older, and has had a little more practise using a cup to drink the bath water, I'll be brave enough to let her have a go for real.

bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 20:12:50

Thanks! I look at him and think he is sooooooo young still. Why are you always made to fill like you should be moving them on to the next stage all the time?

sarah293 Sat 27-Sep-08 20:13:18

Message withdrawn

bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 20:18:27

If I left it a few more months.....or longer.....do you think Flouride drops would be worth using?

noonki Sat 27-Sep-08 20:22:23

you can get inbetween teats that are much faster flow (to prevent toothdecay)

also don't let him walk about with it sipping away if you can help it (like my 16 month old) as it is a hard habit to break

also don't let them have juice from a bottle as that is worse for teeth

It will be easier to do now, than in a few months trust me! (Just got DS1 to give his final bottle up to the bottle fairy on his third birthday - even feel tight about that as he loves it)

bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 20:28:30

He is very good, only has his bottle of milk when sitting on my lap etc and I haven't let him know about the world of juice......mean mummy!

Tryharder Sat 27-Sep-08 21:52:19

My DS1 had a bottle for all his drinks until he was about 18 months old because tbh before then he couldnt really manage a cup. I was always bemused when I saw cups aimed at babies aged 6 mo +

I agree with you bluejellybean about the juice, once they taste it, that's the end of getting them to drink water. DS1 had nothing but milk and water until he was about 15 mo but we moved in with my parents for a few weeks in between a house move and my mum thinks its cruel only to give a child water and you can guess what happened....sad

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 27-Sep-08 21:53:34

DD 2.5 has milk form a bottle twice a day and water from a cup.

chipmonkey Sat 27-Sep-08 22:07:19

bluejellybean, it really sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about. Your little lad is not going around all day with a bottle hanging out of his mouth and I'm not a dentist but I gather that that is what causes feeding bottle caries, not one bottle which is soon over and done with. I wouldn't worry about fluoride tablets either, just brush his teeth morning and night and after sweet and sticky things! My ds3 was breastfed till he was 2.8 and a lot of that was in the middle of the night and his teeth are fine!

chipmonkey Sat 27-Sep-08 22:11:22

Tryharder, meant to say, it really annoys me that they market those Cow and Gate and Heinz juices to mothers of babies. They are so surplus to requirements and when I was a first time mum I thought they were compulsory IYKWIM and ds1 never would drink water after he had them.

bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 22:24:23

Thanks experienced Mummies! There are day's I am so overwhelmed by all this parenting!! Did I miss the manual on my way out of maternity?

chipmonkey Sat 27-Sep-08 22:28:25

Yeah, you should have picked up the manual but never mind! As you have found, you can download the instructions online!grin

bluejellybean Sat 27-Sep-08 22:45:39

grin I'll be on here a lot then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now