Talk

Advanced search

Switching from Breast to bottle

(4 Posts)
feline1973 Sat 27-Sep-08 08:41:40

Hi. Hope someone can help. My 2nd baby is 12 weeks and I am wanting to switch from breast to formula. The problem is whenever we have given her formula she is sick. The Health Visitor says this isn't a problem and to try anti-reflux milk and persevere. I currently live in Germany so bought Aptamil anti-reflux and she refuses point blank to take it, I think because it is so thick. Has anyone tried the easy digest and is that really thick? Also, she now refuses point blank to take a bottle so any advice on how I can get her to switch. Problem is the other half is away otherwise I would get him to do the changeover. Help!! Thanks

lulumama Sat 27-Sep-08 08:49:46

if your HV thinks your baby has reflux then surely your baby should be seen by a doctor as there are medications that can be prescribed .
is she bringing up a whole feed or just a bit after she has finished?

feline1973 Sat 27-Sep-08 18:10:50

Hi. The baby is bringing up the whole formula feed. The health visitor says that this is nothing to worry about as I am still breastfeeding so she won't starve. It's a catch 22 situation. She will take normal formula but about 2-3 hours later she brings the whole lot back up, but she won't take anti-reflux milk. Any advice??

Sisa Sun 28-Sep-08 11:44:24

reflux is sometimes allergy driven. could your lo have an intolerance to cow's milk on which the standad formulas are based? my ds' reflux really took off when we switched to formula. he had his stool tested for 'reducing substances' - it came positive, indicating a milk intolerance. so it might be that you will need to switch to a hypoallergenic formula like nutramigen or neocate and/or do the other usual things that help to keep the milk down - smaller more frequent feeds, winding during the feed and after, keeping upright for ages after the feed etc.
apparently breastmilk is best for refluxing babies as they rarely bring it up, less problems with wind and of course they need smaller amounts of it to get the necessary nutrients. your gp/paed may persuade you to keep baby on breast rather than formula with medications to deal with reflux. less time consuming too - it is hard work changing clothes non-stop and generally looking after a refluxer. good news is that babies grow out of the intolerance as their digestive system matures - so it won't be breastfeeding forever! unfortunately this was not an option for us, ds was not thriving on my milk - he took penty of it but it all came out the other end as he is also allergic to lactose - sugar found in milk of all mammals incl humans. hope you get sorted soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now