Talk

Advanced search

Moving to cow's milk - when and how

(6 Posts)
muddler Fri 26-Sep-08 19:26:06

I am still bf almost one year old ds but have cut out daytime feeds as I am back at work next week sad. I couldn;t be bothered trying to get formula into him in his cup any more after weeks of trying, so can I go straight to cow's milk?
Do I still need to worry how much milk he is getting? He is a little fella so I am conscious of his weight much as I don't want to be!
He still gets 3 bfs, morning, before bed and at about midnight

Seona1973 Fri 26-Sep-08 20:00:59

cows milk will be fine from 1 year. from 1 year a minimum of 350mls (approx 12oz) is recommended so if you are keeping up the bf then he will maybe not need any daytime milk anyway. Both my dd and ds had 2 milk feeds (formula) by 11 months and I just gave them as cows milk when they turned 1. I did it one feed at a time to let them get used to the different milk i.e. for the first few days I gave cows milk in the morning and formula at bedtime and then after they were ok with that I gave both feeds as cows milk. Neither of them seemed to notice the difference.

nowwearefour Fri 26-Sep-08 20:05:01

how near to 1 year is he? if say 11 months i personally would just go for it with cow milk hvs near me say in that circumstance is better to just make the change once. though to be honest he is getting enough boobiemilk with those feeds until he is past 1 if you are at all worried about it. i gave no cows milk til 1 and just 2 feeds a day (allbeit long ones!) from 11 months or so.....

LaVie Fri 26-Sep-08 20:10:11

I'm interested in this thread because my ds (formula fed) has been refusing point blank his morning formula (usually has one bottle first thing and one bottle last thing)

Am now having to give him porridge made with a bit of formula first thing then wait til he is asleep and give him a dream feed at night. Not ideal!

Hw will drink cow's milk though so should I just give in and accept that he has wened himself? I'm just worried that he will miss out on the vits and iron in the formula.

Sorry to hijack your post muddler!

LaVie Fri 26-Sep-08 20:10:42

ds is 11 months old

muddler Fri 26-Sep-08 21:40:55

That's ok lavie!
DS is 11.5 mo so I think I will give him cow's milk from tomorrow. I guess like the rest of us, he needs to just get his vitamins from regular food now. My little boy all grown up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now