Talk

Advanced search

how much milk should a 3 kilo baby drink at each feed?

(11 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 26-Sep-08 00:25:55

He's nearly 2 weeks, and not putting weight on at a good enough rate so I have been advised to top up every feed if he needs it, not just once a day. I want to know how much formula he would be getting if he was ex FF, so I can judge roughly how many mls he is getting from the breast? I mean if he drinks 50mls of FM after a BF, roughly how much BM has he drunk?
Thanks

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Sep-08 00:28:53

Are you breastfeeding on demand? I was advised to top up DS at 2 days after being admitted back into hospital but I put my foot down and expressed, but it was working backwards and it seemed like he was getting less breastmilk as he loves feeding from me, not the bottle so I jus kept to the breastfeeding and he is bang on track weight wise. Is he really slow at gaining the weight or is it just a little behind the chart?

LadyOfWaffle Fri 26-Sep-08 00:28:54

Are you breastfeeding on demand? I was advised to top up DS at 2 days after being admitted back into hospital but I put my foot down and expressed, but it was working backwards and it seemed like he was getting less breastmilk as he loves feeding from me, not the bottle so I jus kept to the breastfeeding and he is bang on track weight wise. Is he really slow at gaining the weight or is it just a little behind the chart?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 26-Sep-08 00:58:48

yes BF on demand, he lost 600grams (17%) and put on 300 grams when I started topping up. then cut down the formula and he has lost 60 grams since monday. HV said it's only because he needs to catch up so he needs extra milk but also she thought he might only be getting the foremilk from me.

nappyaddict Fri 26-Sep-08 01:01:21

if you top up your supply won't build up to what he needs so your milk will never be nough for him and it will be a vicious circle. you need him to keep breastfeeding frequently to build up your supply.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 26-Sep-08 03:56:24

But how do I do that if he's constantly feeding and not putting on weight?

gagarin Fri 26-Sep-08 07:23:12

How about you and he go to bed together for a day ot two?

Loads of skin to skin contact. Breast feed at every opportunity - ie nearly all the time! That may well give your supply a boost?

Foremilk thing is a litle bit of a red herring tbh as the milk isn't divided in such a rigid way - so he'll be getting mixed milk in every fed.

Is he pooing & peeing? Then prob getting enough fluid.

Try and keep confident.

nappyaddict Fri 26-Sep-08 12:36:58

my friend too was told her baby was only getting foremilk. i did a thread about it here

main advice was too feed really frequently so the breast doesnt get too full and by the time baby is full they still haven't got to the hindmilk, lots of skin to skin to produce a good let down and therefore lots of hindmilk and see a BFC.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Sep-08 23:07:40

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 27-Sep-08 23:09:08

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 27-Sep-08 23:40:51

Agree with Starlight. And if you are on MN long enough you will find that HVs know feck-all about bf and what you really need is a bf-counsellor from the NCT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now