Talk

Advanced search

If I'm feeding at 18 months does that mean I'll almost certainly be feeding at 2,3...?

(7 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Thu 25-Sep-08 20:36:29

DS is 17 months, and still bf 3 times a day when I'm at work and probably 5 or 6 times when I'm home, plus night feeds. I always assumed I would still be feeding at 2 and probably at 3. Do any children who still love bf at this age ever self wean before 2 if there have been no attempts to wean them so far?
I'm happy still to be feeding at 2, and 3 i think (although that's ages away!) but would just like to know how likely it is.

Psychobabble Thu 25-Sep-08 20:44:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

phdlife Thu 25-Sep-08 20:48:48

spb, do your nips hurt?

mine are in almost constant pain, it's really making me want to give up altogether

gybegirl Thu 25-Sep-08 20:54:27

My DD stopped BF during the day at about 16 months following a holiday and therefore a disrupted routine. I then dropped the morning feed about 2 weeks later on a don't refuse, don't offer. Then, a couple of weeks after that, we went to a BBQ and she fell asleep early so missed her pre-bed feed. The next night I didn't offer and and she never asked for a feed from me again. It felt right for me (I was 3 months pregnant) and was obviously right for her too. I would describe it as a mutual-wean and it was fortunately really stress-free.

Olihan Thu 25-Sep-08 21:15:53

I'm still feeding ds2 who is almost 21mo. Until last week he was feeding at least 3 or 4 times a day and a couple of times over night. He's suddenly dropped to a morning and bedtime feed - I was kind of doing 'don't offer, don't refuse' (occasionally, esp when we were out, I'd distract him rather than feed) and he's given up daytime feeds of his own accord. I was finding the constant feeding a bit much but according to a LLL book that Franny lent me, it's quite normal at that age.

He's showing no inclination of dropping these last two feeds - it's the first thing he asks for when he wakes up and he won't settle for bed without his 'muck' grin. So I guess we'll definitely still be nursing when he's 2. I'm intending to let him self wean so it's up to him as to whether we're still going at 3!

PortAndLemon Thu 25-Sep-08 21:18:16

DS self-weaned at just over three, whle I was pregnant.

StealthPolarBear Fri 26-Sep-08 09:31:57

phd, no they don't. have yours just suddenly started?
thanks everyone. i also don't offer or refuse (but sometimes delay, if we're about to have tea, say) tbh I never have to worry about offering unless he's ill when I like to make sure he's drinking enough. He eats dreadfully bt drinks out of a beaker / open cup so I don't have any major incentive to stop (apart from the lack of sleep). Suppose I'm just wondering if I've missed a window for weaning.
Also will hope to be pg soon ish and still not having periods. I know it's posible to get pg like that but it can't be common, surely?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: