Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding routine help!

(5 Posts)
Becs77 Thu 25-Sep-08 19:15:08

My baby boy is almost 4 weeks old and breastfeeding has been difficult as he wouldn't latch on to start with and then due to poor latching I got an infection in LB. He also lost weight to start with so I had to express and feed him from a bottle.
Anyway, i've had lots of help and the HV has been particularly helpful to the extent that last week he put on 13oz! However, this week has been really hard in that he doesn't seem to want to feed during the night - he wakes every 3 - 4 hours but as soon as he starts feeding he either falls asleep and is extremely hard to wake or seems to be straining to do a poo and gets very upset, so much so that he can't feed.
The result of this is that the following morning he will feed on and off for 3 - 4 hours with only short breaks for nappy changes and perhaps sleep for 10-15 mins. As well as breastfeeding him for all this time I end up having to give him bottles of expressed milk in order to satisfy him. The afternoon is better and he sleeps for longer particularly if we go out in the pram.
I really want to get into a routine but can't imagine how at this stage with feeding the way it is....
Sorry for the long post but would really appreciate some advice!!!!

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Sep-08 19:19:12

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Thu 25-Sep-08 19:28:33

at 4wks that actually sounds pretty normal even for babies with no weight / feeding issues

maybe resign yourself to a morning of daytime tv then get out in the afternoon - it's only a phase and won't last long smile

Becs77 Fri 26-Sep-08 18:49:17

Okay i'm glad it's a normal thing that will pass once he's a bit bigger.

I give him the espress milk sometimes on top of a feed if he still seems hungry and some times instead of. I've been expressing due to my right breast being too painful to feed from. This is what the HV suggested doing until it heals.

Thanks for you help!

domesticslattern Fri 26-Sep-08 19:42:30

The best advice I was given about the early days of breastfeeding was to throw away your watch. At one month old things will still be a bit chaotic, maybe routines come later? They did for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now