Talk

Advanced search

Can I take codeine while bf-ing my 3-year-old?

(7 Posts)
policywonk Thu 25-Sep-08 09:24:04

<tooth extraction emoticon>

Please someone say yes...

Elasticwoman Thu 25-Sep-08 10:24:31

Please get reliable information from some one qualified eg pharmacist. I'm sure they will speak to you on the phone if you can't get down to the shops.

witchandchips Thu 25-Sep-08 10:32:33

I was given codeine for pain relief after my c section, i took it for a week, they knew my newborn was being breastfed. My guess is that it would be okay but i would check

BouncingTurtle Thu 25-Sep-08 12:07:01

I suffer from migraines, and my GP okayed me taking 15mg doses of codeine every 4 hours, but I always took it just after a feed so that as much of it went out of my system before the next feed.

If you can't get into see your GP about it, have a look on Kellymom.
HTH

policywonk Thu 25-Sep-08 13:22:57

Thank you!

cafebistro Thu 25-Sep-08 13:27:46

I had an infection in my wisdom tooth after having DS. I was in absolute agony and was told the strongest painkiller nI could take was paracetamol because i was breastfeeding. This was a pharmacist that told me. Check with Gp or other professional first.

Horton Thu 25-Sep-08 13:41:24

I was prescribed paracetamol and codeine after an operation. They knew I was breastfeeding and my daughter was around 3 months old at the time, so it should be fine with a 3 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now