Talk

Advanced search

bf baby with a cold

(14 Posts)
IHeartIona Wed 24-Sep-08 21:14:49

my dd has a cold with a blocked nose and was on and off a few times during her feed before bed this evening (I winded her and she burped but she kept doing it). I think she is having trouble breathing through her nose as it is blocked.
I have some of those saline drops - should I give her those before a feed?
thanks for any tips!

nancy75 Wed 24-Sep-08 21:17:39

i saw a tube thing in waitrose ages ago that you can put up babies nose and suck out (yes lovely thought) the snot. i know this sounds totally vile but it might be worth a try?

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 21:17:45

Sympathies. My 4 month old is snotty at the moment and really struggling to feed. He gets so cross, poor mite.

I have no idea about saline drops.

I do find that putting ds on his tummy for a while helps (while I'm with him I mean, and not to sleep) as gravity does the trick and he seems to snort a lot out of his nose and is a bit clearer for a feed.

feeble Wed 24-Sep-08 21:18:22

I often found their noses cleared themselves when they were feeding (leaving snot on my book - yuk!) but saline drops can help. I have heard it said that expressed breast milk is even better?
I used to put olbas oil in a burner in their room at night that helps with the night feeds
hth

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 21:18:27

Some people suck the snot out with their mouths. That reminds me, I've been meaning to start a thread about that...

nancy75 Wed 24-Sep-08 21:20:53

broccolispears, the tube thing i mentioned is mouth operated - nice!

madmouse Wed 24-Sep-08 21:21:50

I use saline drops about five mins before feeding, much to the protest of my almost 8 month old who does everything to dodge it, but it helps well. Almost as well as one of his powersneezes that leave you with snot in your hair if not ducking in time (plus whatever gloop he is eating at the time)

IHeartIona Wed 24-Sep-08 21:22:15

thanks for the replies!
lol BroccoliSpears - I don't think i'll do that!!
ah yes feeble I forgot about olbas oil. i'll put a drop or two on a muslin near the cot.
the tube thing sounds "lovely" also nancy75 - will see if it gets worse before investing!

IHeartIona Wed 24-Sep-08 21:23:02

thanks madmouse, will try the drops tomorrow.

poppy34 Wed 24-Sep-08 21:23:07

broccolispears ..please do - as I am not sure that I believe it isn't an urban myth re sucking out nose

kategsgotmethinking Wed 24-Sep-08 21:24:31

I use a little squeezy gadget that I bought in Boots. It's a balloon type rubber thing attached to a little nozzle. You squeeze the balloon in, put the nozzle in their nostril and when you release the suction pulls out the mucus. It sounds gross, but is fantastic. I've used it a lot for my 11 month old, and it means that he can feed properly. Without it he swallows a lot of mucus and then even if he manages to feed he ends up bringing it back up. I think the thing is called a Nuk, but if you ask in a pharmacy for something to clear babies noses they will produce it for you. Hope your baby is better soon.

mrsgboring Wed 24-Sep-08 21:32:38

It's called a nasal aspirator. Have only beenof limited benefit for us, but they do do something.

Make sure you don't put olbas / whatever too near baby's face,- my DS cameout in blotches and I felt bad.

BroccoliSpears Wed 24-Sep-08 22:24:50

Poppy, I will, and I shall report back.

iwantasecondone Wed 24-Sep-08 22:35:23

Any ideas for my poor 6 month DS? Have been using the aspirator for two days, but the snot is too far in and he's coughing and puking mucous all up (along with his milk.) He is BF so can't water his milk down, he's even bringing up solid food as well. He managed to keep things down this afternoon, but we've had two rounds of vom this evening...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now