Talk

Advanced search

Help, advice needed with 4 week old baby !!!

(5 Posts)
Leenie Wed 24-Sep-08 19:29:31

my 4 wk old baby, is barely sleeping, he wont settle in his crib for more than half hour, hour tops if i am lucky, so he is ending up co-sleeping with us at night, i am b/feeding him and he seems to feed all night long little by little, he seems happy enough, only really crying when he wants to be fed, he is easily comforted, but also he hasn't poo'd for about 3 days now, and although i have read that this can be normal with b/f babies, i am still getting a little worried, the co sleeping worries me too, but if i don't give in and sleep with him then i just don't get any sleep at all
sad

Elasticwoman Wed 24-Sep-08 19:42:48

Co-sleeping and lack of poo are not in themselves cause for concern. I think the main problem is baby not settling for several hours at a time. It might be worth consulting a breastfeeding counsellor to check positioning in case that is stopping the baby from taking a full feed all at once.

To find a counsellor, google NCT, Breastfeeding Network, Association of Breastfeeding Mothers, La Leche League or similar. It is free as these are all charities.

Leenie Wed 24-Sep-08 19:59:47

where would i contact a bf councellor ? although i must say he does seem to be feeding well , he stays on for 30 - 40 mins at times and ends up drifting off if i don't take him off, he sometimes drinks so much he brings lots back up, and he is producing really wet nappies and gaining weight well,

Leenie Wed 24-Sep-08 20:01:05

sorry elasticwoman - diddnt see the bottom of your reply re bf councellor grin

Elasticwoman Wed 24-Sep-08 23:08:29

Leenie, sounds to me like you are doing really well if baby is gaining, and producing wet and soiled nappies.

Many babies posset (bring up milk) and that is quite normal. Indeed, that patch of milk down the back of your clothes was called The Badge of Motherhood when my dc were babies.

Sigh. Happy days. They are bigger than me now and borrowing my clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now