Talk

Advanced search

help and advice re 6 month old please

(5 Posts)
jammi Wed 24-Sep-08 12:14:59

Message withdrawn

likessleep Wed 24-Sep-08 13:04:13

you've done fab!
1. just keep perservering with the bottle. try using it when he is hungry, but not distressed hungry or tired. it may be easier for someone else to feed him this (as he may be smelling the milk on you!)
2. it is definitely worth trying a cup yes and your ds may prefer it. i'd try both and see which he gets on best with.
3. can be either, whichever your preference! to avoid throwing away breastmilk, perish the thought shock, i'd try a little at a time, say 1 or 2 ounces, until he has the hang of it.
4. not sure on this one, how often does he feed? tbh if this is going to be your first time away from him, even if he feeds every 4 hours, it may be easier to have the milk lined up for him as a comfort thing anyway (i'd want to leave some just in case). i guess just missing you is better than missing you and being hungry!?
5. i think you definitely deserve a night away, and particularly as you are getting married grin.

for now, i'd keep trying with bottles and cups, whichever milk is you preference. expressing rather than formula will help to maintain your milk supply, if that is important to you.

also, the food won't be giving him much to fill up on at the moment, which is why he is taking more milk (as his appetite is growing, this needs to be met by more milk, which is far more calorific than some pureed carrots!).

likessleep Wed 24-Sep-08 13:05:39

ps i'm sure others will come up with some other ideas ... i think bottle rejection is very common

jammi Wed 24-Sep-08 23:08:24

Message withdrawn

skidoodle Wed 24-Sep-08 23:42:45

well done on keeping your baby nourished single-handedly for six months I'm just at the same stage and quite proud of this (laziness a big factor here too blush)

My DD takes bottles as I've been back at work since July.

One thing I've noticed is that even though she takes bottles when she's away from me, I'm pretty sure she's taking most of her milk from me when I'm around. If your DS can get used to you leaving him he might adjust to it by taking bigger feeds while you're around and only take small feeds from cup/bottle while you're gone.

When we're together DD feeds way more often than every 3-4 hours, but if I leave her she manages just fine and doesn't feed as frequently.

Obviously all babies are different, but I wouldn't think 4 hours would be too big a gap to leave him. It's really only 3 hours you'll be away from him and that's the thing that's going to bother him most.

It seems to me that your bigger issue is going to be getting him used to you not being there and you leaving him and coming back. If I were you I would start leaving him with his Dad and some EBM. If there are bottles and beakers in the house the two of them will figure it out together.

Go out and (I cannot stress this enough) DO something that will keep you busy for the amount of time you want to be gone. Otherwise there is a high risk of fretting needlessly.

Overnight is still utterly beyond my imagining at this stage. I feed DD before bed, when I go to bed, and first thing in the morning and they're all snuggly bed feeds, I don't think a bottle would really suffice.

HTH in some way. Very inexpert, but maybe a useful perspective. Best of luck with all the wedding preparations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now