Talk

Advanced search

BM supply has suddenly dropped, please help

(4 Posts)
baiyu Wed 24-Sep-08 09:37:46

I started weaning DS about a week ago, he's only having a little bit of baby rice with breast milk and fruit puree once a day and has not yet dropped or reduced any breast feeds.
Yet in the past few days my milk supply has been considerably less. A week ago I was able to give a huge feed in the morning and express at least 6oz from the other side. Now I can't express and my boobs feel totally empty.

I know breastfeeding is supply and demand but the demand if anything has increased not decreased (more demand for night feeds after weeks of sleeping through for example).

I feel pretty healthy otherwise but I've noticed I've been a lot hungrier recently. Apart from midnight fridge raiding, I do usually give in to this and have been eating and drinking loads.

Any ideas on how to boost my supply or know what might be going on? I really don't want to have to go on to formula!

Thanks so much for your time and help smile

likessleep Wed 24-Sep-08 09:43:28

It is probably your body catching up with his increasing demand.
At this stage, he will still be taking as much milk, if not more, I think there is a growth spurt around 6 months isn't there? (How old is he?).
Also, he may be waking as his body is getting used to solids as well.
I wouldn't think your body is making any less, especially as you're feeding same amount and frequency. I'd just keep offering the breast and keep fridge raiding grin. Am sure things will settle down soon. Just keep an eye on his nappies and weight. Nature has a way of adapting to baby's changing needs.

baiyu Thu 25-Sep-08 16:51:50

I think you're right. It's also partly stress I think cos I stopped worrying so much yesterday and today my milk is a lot more plentiful, hooray! Thanks for your help. smile

jammi Thu 25-Sep-08 18:58:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now