Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding a BF baby from a doidy cup while Mum is away overnight

(7 Posts)
Sariska Tue 23-Sep-08 21:45:58

In a couple of weeks' time I'll be leaving my almost 7 month old DS overnight for the first time. He's exclusively breast fed and has just begun on solids. He won't take a bottle - absolutely no way - but will take some expressed milk (maybe 3 ounces a time) from a doidy cup. Despite continued practice, doidy drinking is a painful process, though, and a good deal of the milk ends up in his pelican bib. Without wishing to sound utterly paranoid and precious, I am worried about how he will cope while I'm away. Will 3 ounces 5 times a day be enough plus solids (some of which can include a few more ounces of expressed milk)? Also, what about the night? DS still feeds twice at night (1ish and 4ish at the moment). Does the milk for these feeds have to stay in the fridge until he wakes up or could DH take it out at, say, 10 pm for the 1am feed and at 1am for the 4 am feed? I'm just concerned about him having to wait to warm it up (cold milk appears to be another no-no for DS) while DS gets more wound up and less likely to go back to sleep.... And, finally, on the sleeping issue, DS uses breast feeding as a sleep cue at night, although I don't feed him to sleep - so does anyone have any ideas that might help him deal with just a doidy cup for that night??!

Sorry for length of post and the probably totally idiotic questions but any tips / thoughts appreciated!

feeble Wed 24-Sep-08 21:15:59

hi
didnt want your post to go unanswered.
It is hard leaving them for the first time, but in my experience they are often better with things when mum has gone.
He could take the milk up in an insulated flask to keep it cool?
With him now taking some solids he can always top up with that during the day.
Does he go off in him pram being rocked - that worked with my 2 - yes its more work but its only for a short time.
(many a parent has resorted to the 3 am drive around the block grin)
Dont know if ive helped at all
x

Ceolas Wed 24-Sep-08 21:17:43

I assume you absolutely must go? How long will you be away?

AnarchyAunt Wed 24-Sep-08 21:19:39

BM can be kept out of the fridge for longer than formula - see here

Sariska Fri 26-Sep-08 23:05:18

Insulated flask - excellent idea! I'll only be away a little more than 24 hours but I will be the other side of the Channel so can't nip back easily should things go awry. But am sure he will be OK: his solids intake is increasing so I don't think he'll starve (and even if he won't take enough milk from a cup he is a refluxy baby used to taking medicine from a syringe so that is an option albeit a laborious one) - and, yes, there is always the rocking or driving to sleep option.

Thanks all. I feel better about this now. smile

Liz79 Sat 27-Sep-08 13:09:27

I'm interested in this as I am back to work soon and will have to do night shifts. Hopefully DD will take milk from a tommee tippee cup. More hopefully she will sleep thru the night soon.

wontbepreggersagain Sat 27-Sep-08 13:12:23

i managed to trick my pair of boob monsters with the adri breast bottle- expensive but it worked grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now