Talk

Advanced search

Migraine sufferers - something to watch out for when giving up bf

(6 Posts)
dotty2 Tue 23-Sep-08 10:44:18

Just a small tip to anyone who gets hormonal migraines. I have just given up bf DD2 (14 months). Both this time and when I gave up feeding DD1 (only 5 months that time) I had the most horrendous migraine (2 days in bed, had to get my DH to stay home from work, etc). My migraines usually happen around the start of my period and were bad in the first 3 months of pg both times - but are usually not that severe. Some over the counter painkillers and an hour or two in bed usually make them bearable, but not this time.

I was down to one bf a day in both cases, so didn't expect the hormonal hit to be so bad. So just something to think about in terms of timing giving up. HTH someone.

noolia Tue 23-Sep-08 12:50:15

I'm glad to read this - I've been getting lots of migrainey headaches and I really feel that it is something to do with BF. I haven't started giving up yet (dd is 6 months). Is it known that there is a link between bf and migraine?

dotty2 Tue 23-Sep-08 13:51:33

A quick google search threw up some anecdotal evidence (including some on mumsnet), but I didn't see any proper studies. I guess it stands to reason, though, given the hormonal connections.

Bucharest Tue 23-Sep-08 13:52:25

Mine were definitely worse and more frequent when bf.....

That's really interesting, I'm still bfing dd, but she's 7 months so having some food as well, and I've been getting loads of migraines.

Bucharest Tue 23-Sep-08 14:16:13

I used to have 2/3 a year, but bf they were monthly....nightmare....thankfully settling down now....dd is almost 5 (we bf for a loooooooooong time lol)and so can have Big Pills from the doc for the heads when they come...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now