Talk

Advanced search

ds refusing formula

(6 Posts)
LaVie Tue 23-Sep-08 08:47:27

ds is 10 1/2 months and we give him a bootle of formula first thing on a morning and last thing on a night. During the day he has solids and cows milk in his porridge.

However, over the last few days he has refused his bottles of formula. We've tried giving him it in his beaker but he still refuses. If we give him cows milk or water in his beaker he'll have that though hmm

he's been teething lately so we thought it might be that that's putting him off but he's finished teething (for the moment!) and still isn't taking the formula. I just made up his porridge with some of the formula this morning and he took that.

I'm basically worried that he won't be getting enough vitamins, calcium etc from just a bit of cows milk and his fruit and veg during the day. He's definitely not getting the recommended 20 ounces of formula per day.

We wait until he's asleep at night and then basically dream feed him his last bottle so he's still getting that.

Anyone had their dc wean themselves off formula or bm themselves? I thought we'd have to fight to get him to give up the bottle!

StealthPolarBear Tue 23-Sep-08 09:43:35

Well...he's almost a year old. Not so long ago babies were on cows milk from 6mo.
Does he eat well?
Not much help I know, suppose I'm just saying there's probably no need to worry greatly
Sounds as though he's just gone off the taste! Have you tried switching?

LaVie Tue 23-Sep-08 11:16:21

well, just been to the gp for his 8 month check even though he's 10 months hmm and he recommended follow on formula because it has a lot more vit d and iron in it (60% more than cow's milk apparently). I said I thought that was a con and he looked all affronted and said no!

I might try the follow on but tbh it's still formula so i don't have high hopes.

He eats very well, and gets a lot of his calcium from his cheese (he is a cheese monster) and yoghurt every day. I was more worried about the iron and othe vits which are in the formula.

StealthPolarBear Tue 23-Sep-08 12:04:40

I think you can get vitamin drops - m,ight it be worth sticking some in cows milk?
I thought follow on was a con too!

MarlaSinger Tue 23-Sep-08 12:06:42

If it were my DS, at that age, I'd just stick to cows milk, it is a lot cheaper for one.

But then I though that most of the iron in formula just passes through anyway.

LaVie Tue 23-Sep-08 13:03:35

I think I'll just stick to cow's milk as you say, he's nearly one anyway and I would've switched then.

Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now