Talk

Advanced search

lumps, blocked ducts, not a happy BFer - help with stopping desperately needed

(2 Posts)
fragglema Mon 22-Sep-08 21:26:04

Hi, i was hoping someone could help/ offer their own experiences. I have a 3 week old DD and am really unhappy with breastfeeding (sore nipples, blocked lumps, painful latching etc). I breastfed my 2yr old and developed mastitis, then even worse a dreaded absess which took months of nasty medical procedures and ABs to get rid of. Now at the new lump, I am so worried it might be the first step to the absess returning (its in the same place as before)and, although I know I shouldnt, cant bear the thought of breastfeeding any longer. Help! I really want to stop, but I also dont want to get another absess. Any advice on blocked ducts and stopping breastfeeding safely please as I feel like I'm going out of my mind with worry......

RedHead81 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:36:17

firstly, congratulations!

can you express from the right breast? the best thing really for blocked ducts is to get the milk from there - either baby or pump! but it sounds as though you are having problems with the latch which is possibly why you are having these problems. this is a really good video for latch - i'd give that a try first - it may get rid of the blocked duct for you. if you do decide to give breastfeeding a miss then try to make sure that your breasts dont become engorged, because this will only make matters worse.

i would seek the advice of a bfing councillor or a bfing group near you.

good luck and hop all goes well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now