Advanced search

putting on weight too fast - but bf

(18 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Sep-08 19:54:29

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Sep-08 20:43:34

Message withdrawn

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 22-Sep-08 20:46:41

I can't actually see how this could be seen as a bad thing but presumably if your friend has been referred it is because this could signify a problem in some way.

I don't think "too fast" is possible - "faster than the graphs usually show" is a possiblity! BF babies are meant to gain weight rapidly.

I'm not a HCP though so can't offer any insight, sorry.

AnarchyAunt Mon 22-Sep-08 20:47:56

I don't see how there could be a problem really if she is exclusively bf, unless there are medical conditions that can cause excessive weight gain so early.

I'd suspect incorrect birthweight, compounded by inherent inaccuracies in routine weighing - ie, was the same set of scales used every time? Was the baby naked every time? Did the baby do a wee/poo soon after weighing? All these and more can make a difference.

RedHead81 Mon 22-Sep-08 20:52:17

I'm a bfing support peer and have never come across this before, but maybe a bfing councillor could answer.

A friend of mine at out bfing group has the opposite problem - her ds was referred for failure to thrive - is 20wks now and gained less than 6oz so far - they are being very supportive of her choice to bf at the moment and up until now haven't forced her into giving formula. I would have thought that giving formula will only make the baby put more weight on, so bfing should continue. She may find that his weight will steady and not be so much of a gain each time, as time progresses.

ILikeYourSleeves Mon 22-Sep-08 20:54:33

My baby was exclusively BF and was 5lb 10 at birth (0.4 percentile or something). He climbed vertically up the growth chart and put on loads of weight, even 1 lb in a few days! All I got was praise from the HV & midwife so I don't know why your friend has been referred to the hospital? Why is gaining weight a bad thing? If there are no medical implications then I think she should just keep BFing, she is doing a great job! BTW my DS went up to 75th percentile and has kept in that neck of the woods ever since, wee chubber )

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Sep-08 20:55:03

Message withdrawn

RedHead81 Mon 22-Sep-08 20:55:30

My ds1 gained weight rapidly at the beginning and was well over the 50th centile which he was born on, but when he started crawling, his weight stayed the same and is actually now (at age 3.9yrs) just below the 50th centile.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Sep-08 20:59:15

Message withdrawn

ShowOfHands Mon 22-Sep-08 20:59:49

My dd put on a pound a week for ages and didn't appear to lose any weight at all in the first week. From an average birth weight, she shot up to above the charts within weeks and has stayed above the highest centile ever since. She was extremely chubby but is now tall and strong, developing normally and I received nothing but praise. I hope she is encouraged to continue feeding.

RedHead81 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:03:14

I don't think they will undermine her bfing tbh - they know the benefits with obesity links in later life with FF and the greater weight gain in FF babies. Unless its an indicator of a condition of which i know nothing about, then I cant see that there is anything wrong either. I have always been praised on the weight gains of my LO's.

RedHead81 Mon 22-Sep-08 21:06:09

Thats something that HV's sometimes forget too - the length of the baby - if the baby is long, then it makes sense that he/she will put on more weight than a shorter baby. They just don't seen to use common sense though - they just gof off the charts - well, if the chart says she should have 5 teeth by now then there must be something wrong!

Psychobabble Mon 22-Sep-08 21:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EffiePerine Mon 22-Sep-08 21:18:31

DS put on a lb a week to start with as well. He was on the 25th percentile at both, long and skinny, then shot up to the 90th and stayed there. No-one batted an eyelid, esp as after those first weeks his weight gain was steadily on the line. Her didn;t lose any birthweight either (too greedy wink)

EffiePerine Mon 22-Sep-08 21:18:50

at birth

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 22-Sep-08 21:47:06

Message withdrawn

Tryharder Mon 22-Sep-08 22:07:23

We can't win, can we? wink If your baby's not gaining enough weight and you bf, then you must be doing something wrong and if your baby's putting on too much weight and your bf, then again you must be doing something wrong.

Why don't we just give our babies formula then we can see exactly what they are eating and they can follow the charts like good little babies. smile

alexpolismum Tue 23-Sep-08 15:25:34

I don't know in pounds, cos babies are weighed in kilos here, but my first baby was 3.8kg at birth and by two months was a massive 7kg. (my second baby is now 2 months and only 5kg, to give some perspective). He put on weight super fast and continued to do so until he was about 8 months old.

Then it all slowed down and other babies started to catch up. Now he's 16 months and 12kg. He's still a large baby, but not enormous, IYSWIM. Plus, dh and I are both tall, so I expect he just takes after us. The point is, some babies just make a faster start than others, but it all evens out in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now