Talk

Advanced search

Is it colic or just a boy???

(11 Posts)
Pagan Sat 26-Feb-05 18:04:56

Sorry if this has been covered but I just don't have the time to read all the other threads. My DS is just over 4 weeks old. Right from the start he has been a good eater but will not go back to sleep very easily and it only seems to be getting worse. He doesn't wind much by burping but squirms around and obviously feels much better after a good fart or poo but it takes him ages to wind himself that way so it constant girning. He tends to sleep more during the day and then feed lots up until bed time and I'll perhaps get 2-3 hours uninterupted sleep from say 10pm to 1am but then he wakes for a feed and I don't get him back down for about 2 hours if at all. Last night was the worst yet

Fed all evening, went to sleep at 10.30pm, woke at 1.30 am and that was it. No more sleep until about 8am when he slept for half an hour. He only finally had a decent kip at around 2pm.

Needless to say I'm knackered

Any thoughts, tips, comments most welcome

NotQuiteCockney Sat 26-Feb-05 18:06:35

My DS2 was a bit like this. It passed.

It probably helped that we all slept together, so he could lie there in the dark and wiggle and complain a bit, while I (more or less) slept beside him.

If you can, it's best to keep him in the dark, and bored, for feeds in the middle of the night, so he doesn't get the idea that anything interesting happens then.

WitchfinderGeneral Sat 26-Feb-05 18:07:01

Some swear by cranial osteopathy.

purpleturtle Sat 26-Feb-05 18:09:49

It does seem in my (not particularly extensive) anecdotal experience that boys are worse for this than girls. Definitely held true in our case. Infacol was suggested to us, and it did seem to help. Or maybe he just grew out of it.

aloha Sat 26-Feb-05 18:10:03

I sympathise totally. My son was a nightmare sleeper as a baby - then became a wonderful one at 8 months (sorry - I can practically hear you saying '8 months! I'll be a basket case).

Pagan Sat 26-Feb-05 18:22:20

LOL Aloha

I've been spoilt as DD was total perfection as a sleeper right from when she was born. This is my penance for her sleeping 12 hours at a time.

I'll hang on in there (she quickly puts another bottle of plonk to chill in the fridge)

Clayhead Sat 26-Feb-05 18:38:22

My experience the same as NQC.

I sympathise, it's awful but it does eventually pass...

hewlettsdaughter Sat 26-Feb-05 19:02:14

My ds was like this - he improved by the time he was 4 months. Some tips here (pulled together by a fellow mumsnetter). Hang on in there!

Twiglett Sat 26-Feb-05 19:03:25

have you tried lying him down after a feed for 2 or 3 minutes then picking him up .. sometimes the wind comes up then

hewlettsdaughter Sat 26-Feb-05 19:06:19

Oh yes, and I found this winding position helped when dd was colicky.

ButtonMoon Sat 26-Feb-05 21:15:47

Oh how familiar this sounds...I feel for you!! Very similar to dd...we tried everything on the market, but she just squirmed with trapped wind (you could hear it going round and round) all night from about 5pm til 2 am, then would eventually settle til 5am and then wanted another feed. I was a wreck. She improved dramtically by 12 weeks and it had all but gone at 14 weeks. Had little help from HV or GP (who said to stop bf and give her some orange juice!!) We found eventually that swaddling her and holding her firmly over our shoulder was the best. Agree with WFG, a friend of mine tried cranial oesteopathy and swore by it....if my next one is the same I will def give it a go!! It will pass...promise....just think some babies are better sleepers than others who need a little practice. Just try and grab sllep whenhe does if poss. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now