Talk

Advanced search

Could Fybogel be having an effect on my breastfed baby?

(4 Posts)
SamJohnsMum Mon 22-Sep-08 14:01:59

My IBS symptoms kicked off big time shortly after I gave birth (after having been non-existent while I was pregnant) but as I am breastfeeding, I can't take my usual medication. I was trying to eat All-Bran, which helped a bit, but I really don't like it so I'm giving Fybogel a try. However, I wonder if my DS (3 months old) is suffering painful wind today and if Fybogel could be to blame.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I don't want my son to be in pain (obv) and I really can't deal with bad IBS symptoms. They keep me up at night more than he does!!

tiktok Mon 22-Sep-08 14:12:47

As I understand it, fybogel is not a systemic treatment - it works in the gut and in the gut alone, and acts on the food alone, bulking it out. You could check with the pharmacist on this, in case I have it wrong, but if I am right there is no way it could possibly get into your milk and affect your baby.

SamJohnsMum Mon 22-Sep-08 18:28:38

Thanks, tiktok - that makes sense. I think he may have had an upset tummy today anyway as there was also some vomiting. I phoned NHS direct, who advised me to get him checked out by the doctor because of a few other things, but of course he was the very picture of health by the time we got there!!

weasle Mon 22-Sep-08 20:38:28

fybogel is just a sachet of bran, i can't see why it would have an effect on baby. but some people find that their diet does affect their baby...
i hope the ibs improves

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: