Talk

Advanced search

Feeding babies coffee creamer

(7 Posts)
mummyclare Mon 22-Sep-08 13:35:50

BMJ have just published this article on Laos. Nestle use a picture of a cuddly bear cradling a baby on their coffee creamer and other products like evaporated milk. The same logo is used on their infant formula. 54% of women in rural Laos are illiterate. The study found that 18% of mothers had used the coffee creamer to feed their babies.

shock angry
Why is it always Nestle?

aquababe Mon 22-Sep-08 13:39:48

coz they are b**ds

Tryharder Mon 22-Sep-08 22:25:48

I lived in West Africa for a time and it's lucky that most babies there are breastfed as the formulas and baby foods on offer are utter crap (formula powder is not a lot better than "marvel" ingredient wise) and babies are routinely weaned on "Cerelac" - made by guess which company wink which is basically wheat and sugar and nothing else. A lot of mums there respect what they see as Western products and wean their babies on cerelac ignoring their own perfectly nutritious and tasty local grown foods that would be suitable for babies (papaya, millet, butternut squash, sweet potato etc). Very sad.

MillBill Mon 22-Sep-08 22:31:35

My husband's employers were brought out by Nestle. I remember as a student being told of a scandel but can't remember now. Something about women in third world countries being given nestle milk so that their babies yearned it, then having to pay alot of money? Can someone enlighten me.

SmugColditz Mon 22-Sep-08 22:40:47

Women in theird world countries were given formula milk for their babies until their own breastmilk dried up - then they had to pay for it. A lot couldn't pay for it, a lot didn't have the resources to prepare it properly, a lot couldn't read the fucking instructions, and their babies sickened and their babies sometimes died.

MillBill Mon 22-Sep-08 22:46:31

That's so awful, beyond belief. But surely not now I hope.

madlentileater Mon 22-Sep-08 22:51:32

http://www.babymilkaction.org/
this will tell you all you need

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now